Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot verify email address I want to add to my custom domain: the verification link does nothing. Now what?

During my custom domain creation, one step is to declare every existing email addresses before modifying the DNS. During this step, verification links are send to those addresses in order to verify that they are valid and everyone knows about the migration. So far, so good. I've validated couple of addresses but the last one cannot be verified. I do have the verification email and the verification link. But when I clic the link, it opens icloud.com and... does nothing. I'm supposed to get a notification popup in the page that says the email address has been successfully verified. But I don't have that message and my migration is now stuck.

Does anyone has experience that kind of symptoms?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 8:39 AM

OK I've found the solution, and it's stupid.

The person that could not validate the link was not eligible to that service (custom domain name) because she was not iCloud+...

Let me elaborate.

I would have thought that only one person (me, in that case) has to be iCloud+ in order to give to it's family the benefit of custom domain. It's true but, in order to do that, it is required to share iCloud+ subscription with its family before inviting them to join the custom domain.

In my case, I have iCloud+ (obviously), my girlfriend too, but not my mom. So during the migration everything was ok until she has to validate her email address.

So all was needed for me was to share the iCloud+ benefit to my family. Then everything worked.

I've manage to find a note in the Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail - Apple Support page that says:

If you share iCloud+ with your Family Sharing group, you can share your

custom domain with your Family sharing group and allow them to create

personalized addresses.

In other words: if you don't share iCloud+ in your family, maybe because you don't want them to eat your precious (and costly) iCloud storage space, then you cannot share a custom domain with them. That service is directly tied with iCloud+ subscription.

That note is absent to the iCloud User Guide.

Here is what I would recommend to Apple :

• make it clear in all documentation that a iCloud+ subscription (either directly or indirectly through family sharing) is mandatory in order to benefit from a custom domain address.
  • make it clear, when family members are added to the custom domain, that members that are not iCloud+ cannot benefit from the service.
  • obviously: don't send verification link to someone that is not eligible to the service.

I've now successfully migrate my domain from Google Workspace.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 8:39 AM in response to ronan285

OK I've found the solution, and it's stupid.

The person that could not validate the link was not eligible to that service (custom domain name) because she was not iCloud+...

Let me elaborate.

I would have thought that only one person (me, in that case) has to be iCloud+ in order to give to it's family the benefit of custom domain. It's true but, in order to do that, it is required to share iCloud+ subscription with its family before inviting them to join the custom domain.

In my case, I have iCloud+ (obviously), my girlfriend too, but not my mom. So during the migration everything was ok until she has to validate her email address.

So all was needed for me was to share the iCloud+ benefit to my family. Then everything worked.

I've manage to find a note in the Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail - Apple Support page that says:

If you share iCloud+ with your Family Sharing group, you can share your

custom domain with your Family sharing group and allow them to create

personalized addresses.

In other words: if you don't share iCloud+ in your family, maybe because you don't want them to eat your precious (and costly) iCloud storage space, then you cannot share a custom domain with them. That service is directly tied with iCloud+ subscription.

That note is absent to the iCloud User Guide.

Here is what I would recommend to Apple :

• make it clear in all documentation that a iCloud+ subscription (either directly or indirectly through family sharing) is mandatory in order to benefit from a custom domain address.
  • make it clear, when family members are added to the custom domain, that members that are not iCloud+ cannot benefit from the service.
  • obviously: don't send verification link to someone that is not eligible to the service.

I've now successfully migrate my domain from Google Workspace.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Dec 19, 2022 2:11 PM in response to ronan285

Hey ronan285,

We'd recommend trying to open the verification link using another device or web browser to see if that changes anything.

If the issue seems to be limited to Safari on your Mac, you may want to try the steps in this article as they help resolve issues with content not loading in Safari: If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2022 10:05 AM in response to ronan285

Hey ronan285,

That's good to know! Researching this, we found "Note: You can’t add an email address if you or someone else is using it with a different Apple ID. If you want to add that address, the other Apple ID needs to be changed to a different email address." at the bottom of section "Step 2: Add people and enter existing email addresses" here: Add an email domain you already own to iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If that's not the case, have you try resending the verification email to see if a new link helps? If you have and the behavior continues, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support to look into this more with you here: Contact Apple Support

Thanks and take care!

Dec 20, 2022 12:07 PM in response to TammyW_03

Hey TammyW_03,

I remember I came across that note. But I have to say, I'm not sure I understand what it means... "someone else is using [that address] with a different Apple ID".

Can someone reformulate that sentence?

It is worth noting that the email address I try to migrate is a Apple ID.

So, lets say I want to migrate mydomain.com and those tree addresses :

• person1@mydomain.com
  • person2@mydomain.com
  • person3@mydomain.com

And let's say, the third address is already an Apple ID (just not an @icloud.com Apple ID, obviously).

Can I migrate that address? I would think so.

I also tried resending the verification email, without change to the outcome sadly.

Dec 22, 2022 1:23 PM in response to Chris_D13

So, quick follow up on that topic: I reached out to the support but they could not assist me any further.

The subject is quite technical and, to be honest, it seems the support don't really know that specific iCloud feature.

I could continue my migration without the missing email address that I cannot validate. I could probably add that email later, when the domain is actually pointing to Apple email servers. The problem is, to me, that there is no guaranty the email address actually can be successfully added later. If I run to the same kind of problem, like the address cannot be added, then I'm good to migrate the DNS back to the previous servers. It could cost me time and maybe some emails if some are coming during the transition.

Cannot verify email address I want to add to my custom domain: the verification link does nothing. Now what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.