Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Sorting Issue

Running MacOS Ventura 13.0.1

In the Song view of Music version 1.3.0.138, I would like to sort in the following way:

Artist > Album by year (ascending). I enjoy listing to how artists evolve. The ONLY functional solution I have figured out for this is to create playlists rather than to use the song view, which is fine if you don't have many albums by the same artist, but a time consuming pain if you have to create separate playlist for each artist (which by the way, you have to add to those playlists in the order you want them because the sorting process doesn't work there either).

Where is the functionality that gives the ability to sort first by A then B within A, then C within B, etc? Example: If I want to see the evolution of The Beatles all the way to Zappa, I would be able to click sort by Artist, then by Album Year, and it would sort the whole library that way, accounting for every artist existing in the library. The Beatles would be listed in the Bs and each album would be in ascending yearly order of release. The same would be true of ZZ Top and everyone in between. (Don't get me started on how re-alphebitizing by artist surname rather than first name is another time vortex.)

Now, I can sort by Artist, but the Albums are not in the ascending order that I want them to be for the artist. If I try to sort by year, it sorts the whole library by year, ignoring the Artist altogether then the Album by Year.

This functionality existed at one point in the history of iTunes/Music but it is gone. Please help me figure out how to sort my song list the way I want it to be sorted. I have gone through ALL of the View Options/Sort by and have not succeeded in having my song library in the sensible order of Artist>Album Year Ascending.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 9:16 AM

Not possible unfortunately.

Similar questions

1 reply

Music Sorting Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.