Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable background battery usage for apps like Snapchat and Instagram?

Hello. My background app refresh is off, still Snapchat uses (last 10 days) 8h 35m on screen time and 5h 56m background, Instagram - 5 hours on screen, 1h background.

Data savers are on.

How can I make it so my apps stop working in the background?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 2:22 PM

Whenever an app gets notifications it is unsuspended to process the notifications. This appears as background usage, but as it is event-driven, and not initiated by the app, turning off background app refresh doesn’t stop it. The only way to stop it is to disable notifications completely for the apps.

4 replies

Dec 19, 2022 6:40 PM in response to benas96

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities benas96,

You can limit background app activity with the following steps:

To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Cellular Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

If you need further assistance, providing additional information can increase the chances you'll get a relevant and helpful response from the community.

How long ago was background activity for the app disabled? Do you see background activity for the app in question over the last 24 hours?

Cheres!

How to disable background battery usage for apps like Snapchat and Instagram?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.