Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pinch to zoom (again)

Continuing this discussion that is now closed:

Trackpad pinch to zoom gesture fails occa… - Apple Community

It has become terrible on my MBA M1 with Ventura 13.1. Currently pinch to zoom is much more reliable and is more pleasant on my Windows laptop, basically unthinkable only few years ago.

I have the same problems concerning finger detection as described by the OP in the linked discussion (only one finger detected, no fingers at all, ...)

PLUS

It seems just to "crash": pinch to zoom stops working. It DOES NOT work at all for a while in ALL the apps, then all of a sudden starts working again.

Just reopening the discussion to check whether there are any news on this, any solution, etc.

I am monitoring the console to understand what is happening. I only see these errors:

cprefsd:
rejecting read of { kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, USER, kCFPreferencesCurrentHost, /Users/USER/Library/Preferences/ByHost/.GlobalPreferences.717A1572-2968-5DD3-9658-A779F39030DD.plist, managed: 0 } from process 765 (contentlinkingd) because accessing these preferences requires user-preference-read or file-read-data sandbox access

and

fault	09:07:38.883246+0100	Safari	<private>
fault	09:07:38.883394+0100	Safari	<private>
fault	09:07:38.883492+0100	Safari	<private>
fault	09:07:38.883599+0100	Safari	<private>
error	09:07:38.932912+0100	WindowServer	CGLayerKit called back with no connection
error	09:07:39.026139+0100	Safari	Failed to load update configuration: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file couldn’t be opened because it doesn’t exist."

I really like the private: I cannot read my system logs...

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 12:33 AM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2022 5:02 AM in response to LordThistle

LordThistle wrote:

Continuing this discussion that is now closed:
Trackpad pinch to zoom gesture fails occa… - Apple Community

It has become terrible on my MBA M1 with Ventura 13.1. Currently pinch to zoom is much more reliable and is more pleasant on my Windows laptop, basically unthinkable only few years ago.

I have the same problems concerning finger detection as described by the OP in the linked discussion (only one finger detected, no fingers at all, ...)

PLUS

It seems just to "crash": pinch to zoom stops working. It DOES NOT work at all for a while in ALL the apps, then all of a sudden starts working again.

A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

no resolve —try reinstalling the macOS on top of you existing macOS to sort issues with baked in apps

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Dec 18, 2022 10:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

I really do not see the point of providing these precompiled and standard answers when the problem is so widespread.

1. I have re-installed a clean Mac OS already once. The problem was there right after the installation.
  2. What would I check in a Safe Boot? The problem seems to be related to the OS internals and not to specific applications or drivers.

Jan 17, 2023 11:40 PM in response to LordThistle

Here are a couple of links that describes how to view the <private> contents:

https://georgegarside.com/blog/macos/sierra-console-private/

https://superuser.com/questions/1532031/how-to-show-private-data-in-macos-unified-log

Note on the first one if you use the link to the file the creator will no longer show as verified (I believe certificate he signed the file with expired), but it will still work. Once you install the profile the contents of <private> will be visible, so do be careful who you send unified logs to after making the change. You can disable by removing the profile.

BTW I also have this issue (2018 MBP 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 running Ventura 13.1), but not much to add good or bad beyond what I've seen here and the original article. I've tried killall Dock and cycling the pinch to zoom option in preferences without luck (see https://github.com/danqing/Pinch which was mentioned on 9to5mac.com if you want easy way to try that yourself).

Pinch to zoom (again)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.