Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New cellular data ipad

If I purchase a new mini iPad from apple, with cellular data, can I just take out my old SIM card and put in the new one? My service is AT&T. When I was going through the purchase it did not ask my service provider. For some reason I thought that mattered????

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 7:26 AM

In many cases, transferring cellular service between WiFi+Cellular models of iPad is as simple as just moving the physical DataSIM between devices.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPad - Apple Support

In some cases, you may need to contact your Cellular Provider for a replacement SIM - or an update to your cellular service account.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2022 7:26 AM in response to Trippinjay

In many cases, transferring cellular service between WiFi+Cellular models of iPad is as simple as just moving the physical DataSIM between devices.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPad - Apple Support

In some cases, you may need to contact your Cellular Provider for a replacement SIM - or an update to your cellular service account.

Dec 18, 2022 7:51 AM in response to Trippinjay

You would be best advised to not purchase an iPad through a Cellular Carrier - in particular from AT&T. Many Carriers (in particular AT&T) are known to subsidy-lock the iPad to their own network - and may permanently disable the iPad’s internal eSIM.

Cellular model iPad purchased from Apple or Apple Authorised Retailers without a Cellular contract are not locked to any networks.

New cellular data ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.