Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access my music after upgrade...

I have read all the previous excellent ways of repairing this, but I can't even access the Music file to change permissions.... could someone please help a dozy old lady! I have migrated all my stuff including music to a new computer and can't access my music library. I couldn't access any of my dozens of tracks on the previous computer, they completely disappeared, but I gave up on that. I really don't want to give up on the few I still have, which I bought from Apple. This is my only complaint about a superb computer - if Apple decide you are not going to listen to your own music, it seems they can!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 12:37 PM

Hello Notmum,

To help resolve your issue, make sure you transferred the music as shown in this article:

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

If you have songs or music video files on your computer, you can import them into Music so they appear in your music library.
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose File > Add To Library or File > Import.
2. If you selected “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” in Files settings, you see File > Import.
Locate a file or folder, then click Open.
If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.
Tip: You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it.
By default, Music places a copy of each audio file in the Music folder (Home/Music/Music) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your music files are stored.
When you import an item by dragging it to the Music window or choosing File > Add To Library or File > Import, a reference (or “pointer”) to the item—not the item itself—is placed in the Music folder. You might not be able to play the song if you move it.

If you still need help. Tell us what happens when you try to play the songs you transferred to the new Mac. Please provide any error messages you receive. Also, do you have an Apple Music subscription?

These details can help the community gain a better understanding of your issue.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2022 12:37 PM in response to Notmum

Hello Notmum,

To help resolve your issue, make sure you transferred the music as shown in this article:

If you have songs or music video files on your computer, you can import them into Music so they appear in your music library.
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose File > Add To Library or File > Import.
2. If you selected “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” in Files settings, you see File > Import.
Locate a file or folder, then click Open.
If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.
Tip: You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it.
By default, Music places a copy of each audio file in the Music folder (Home/Music/Music) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your music files are stored.
When you import an item by dragging it to the Music window or choosing File > Add To Library or File > Import, a reference (or “pointer”) to the item—not the item itself—is placed in the Music folder. You might not be able to play the song if you move it.

If you still need help. Tell us what happens when you try to play the songs you transferred to the new Mac. Please provide any error messages you receive. Also, do you have an Apple Music subscription?

These details can help the community gain a better understanding of your issue.

Best Regards.

Unable to access my music after upgrade...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.