Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google is blocking my account in Mail.

Google is blocking my account in Mail. Google is saying that they are blocking because Apple use OAuth flows, whatever that is. It is an old iMac OS 10.13.6. It is working on my ipad/iphone which are newer.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 8:51 AM

Yes, the version of Mail is too old, which is tied to the OS version.

What is OAuth?

OAuth is an open-standard authorization protocol or framework that provides applications the ability for “secure designated access.” For example, you can tell Facebook that it’s OK for ESPN.com to access your profile or post updates to your timeline without having to give ESPN your Facebook password. This minimizes risk in a major way: In the event ESPN suffers a breach, your Facebook password remains safe.

OAuth doesn’t share password data but instead uses authorization tokens to prove an identity between consumers and service providers. OAuth is an authentication protocol that allows you to approve one application interacting with another on your behalf without giving away your password.

In the interim there's WebMail, then finding a different Mail client for 10.13, perhaps Thunderbird?

Thunderbird — Make Email Easier. — Thunderbird

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 8:51 AM in response to Murimac4

Yes, the version of Mail is too old, which is tied to the OS version.

What is OAuth?

OAuth is an open-standard authorization protocol or framework that provides applications the ability for “secure designated access.” For example, you can tell Facebook that it’s OK for ESPN.com to access your profile or post updates to your timeline without having to give ESPN your Facebook password. This minimizes risk in a major way: In the event ESPN suffers a breach, your Facebook password remains safe.

OAuth doesn’t share password data but instead uses authorization tokens to prove an identity between consumers and service providers. OAuth is an authentication protocol that allows you to approve one application interacting with another on your behalf without giving away your password.

In the interim there's WebMail, then finding a different Mail client for 10.13, perhaps Thunderbird?

Thunderbird — Make Email Easier. — Thunderbird

Dec 26, 2022 7:52 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes my iMac 27" is old but has a good screen for watching films & tv, for surfing the net, for my photo collection, and for communicating in every possible way except mail. Too early to throw away! But I like to write manuscripts on the big Mac, so how can I send the content of the imac to my MacBook, my iPad pro, my iPhone se2000 without having a subscription with iCloud - after all they are all hooked up on my WiFi?

Thunderbird might be a good idea, but it is confusing to have thunderbird on imac and mail on the other machines.

Thanks for helping!

Google is blocking my account in Mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.