Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone not receiving text from other iphone

Hello!

My son has a iphone12 mini. He has a voice/text plan without date.

Since I switched from Android to Iphone, he won’t get my text messages when not on wifi. He still gets SMS sent from android devices.

If I turn mobile date on, he will get my texts. Is there a way to set up message app to only use sms?

thank you

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 2:59 PM

Hello Ersimard,

When you disabled iMessage, did you sign out of iMessage on your son's device? If not, make sure his Apple ID is not signed in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, if you see his Apple ID there, tap the Apple ID username at the bottom of the screen, followed by Sign Out. This may help with resolving the issue. Since we're signing out of iMessage, restart the iPhone one more time as well.

Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online

Let us know how that goes!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Ersimard

Hello Ersimard,

When you disabled iMessage, did you sign out of iMessage on your son's device? If not, make sure his Apple ID is not signed in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, if you see his Apple ID there, tap the Apple ID username at the bottom of the screen, followed by Sign Out. This may help with resolving the issue. Since we're signing out of iMessage, restart the iPhone one more time as well.

Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online

Let us know how that goes!

Dec 20, 2022 2:33 PM in response to Ersimard

Hey there Ersimard,

While an iPhone would only send SMS if iMessage is disabled, this is something your son would need to decide.

Moving forward with troubleshooting, we'd like to confirm more details to better understand what's happening, along with ruling out some general possible causes:

1. Are you having any issues sending/receiving text messages from anyone else? What about your son?
  2. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart: Restart your iPhone
  3. Since he has an iPhone 12 mini, the latest version for it would be iOS 16.2. This would also be the latest version for your iPhone if you're also using a compatible model. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update your iPhone or iPad.
  4. We also recommend checking for a carrier settings update next: Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Cheers!

Dec 20, 2022 2:44 PM in response to bruno75

Hello!

thank you for your answer. I did all rheabove and still have the same issue.

He won’t get any text messages sent from anyone with an Iphone but he will get texts sent by android phones.

If I send him a text from the message app, he will only get it if I change the setting for send as sms. I tried disabling imessage on his phone but he still gets the same problem

Iphone not receiving text from other iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.