Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download Itunes 12.6.3

Is there anywhere to get Itunes 12.6.3? Or an itunes version that can store downloaded apps on it? I have apps on an iphone that are not on the app store anymore that I want to transfer to a new iphone. Looking for an itunes that can store apps on it to assist with that.

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 9:42 AM

You can use one of these links as appropriate:

• iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Windows (32-bit) - iTunesSetup.exe (2018-09-12) Last build to support apps, books, and tones
  • iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Windows (64-bit) - iTunes64Setup.exe (2018-09-12) Last build to support apps, books, and tones

(Links are to files on Apple servers, but redirected via TinyURL because Apple blocks them otherwise.)

Note the older version won't be able to read your current iTunes Library. Many apps stored on your device may be stored in thinned versions that only contain the code and resources for running on that device, and therefore won't transfer into your library. Do you still have the original .ipa files you might have been downloading prior to iTunes 12.7? They can be dragged into iTunes 12.6.5.3 if you do. If the apps in question have not been updated in the last four years then they may not install on newer versions of iOS.

tt2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 9:42 AM in response to AnimeDreamer87

You can use one of these links as appropriate:

• iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Windows (32-bit) - iTunesSetup.exe (2018-09-12) Last build to support apps, books, and tones
  • iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Windows (64-bit) - iTunes64Setup.exe (2018-09-12) Last build to support apps, books, and tones

(Links are to files on Apple servers, but redirected via TinyURL because Apple blocks them otherwise.)

Note the older version won't be able to read your current iTunes Library. Many apps stored on your device may be stored in thinned versions that only contain the code and resources for running on that device, and therefore won't transfer into your library. Do you still have the original .ipa files you might have been downloading prior to iTunes 12.7? They can be dragged into iTunes 12.6.5.3 if you do. If the apps in question have not been updated in the last four years then they may not install on newer versions of iOS.

tt2

Dec 21, 2022 11:24 AM in response to AnimeDreamer87

All 64-bit installers for iTunes for Windows are called iTunes64Setup.exe. There is a fairly comprehensive list of 12.x versions in my user tip Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community, some in the iTunes installers section, the rest in comments at the bottom of the tip. I've yet to add links for the current build.

It may help to run the iTunes installer as administrator. You may need to completely remove all software from Apple when trying to downgrade iTunes to an earlier version. More recent versions are required to communicate with devices running recent builds of iTunes. You may be able to drag and drop a valid .ipa file to a connected device in newer versions of iTunes that don't otherwise support app management.

tt2

Dec 21, 2022 10:21 AM in response to turingtest2

No, I have not connected my phone to iTunes for years so I don't believe that I have the app file anywhere other than my phone.

On the apple website when I was looking at iTunes version I did try to install an Itunes64. Is that the same one? If not then why doesn't apple list it on their website since many people would want the itunes that store their apps on it.

When I did try to install the Itunes64 from the website previously I got error message "Service "ipod service" (ipod service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services". This is my personal Windows 10 computer so I'm not sure why it would day that, I don't believe that I have any antivirus blocking that either.

I just need to get 1 old app that's not on the app store from 1 phone to the other the other. Is there any other way that I can do that if itunes does not work?

Dec 21, 2022 11:17 AM in response to turingtest2

Is the link that you posted previously the same as the Itunes64 on the apple website?

Do you by chance know why I was getting the "Service "ipod service" (ipod service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services" error message when I tried to install that?

I'll try Itunes first but if I can't get that I could try iMazing. I've never heard of that one before.

I did look into programs to move apps between phones but that program didn't come up in my search.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Download Itunes 12.6.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.