Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ID3 Tags (metadata) bug on old imported Library: edit freezes, and then it goes back

Hello!

I'm sorry if this already got asked but couldn't find anything that match my current issue.

I recently got a M2 macbook and imported my previous Itunes library.

Since I wanted to make a clean install of this mac from scratch, I didn't use my time-machine save but imported it from the base directory of files created by Itunes, sorted by Artists.

It took some time and it seems that I lost a few songs but it doesn't really matter, my real problem is the following:

• when editing ID3 tags, such as the Genre one, Itunes freezes for a few seconds.
  • If the track is currently playing my changes won't apply.
  • If the track wasn't playing and my changes applied, when I play it it, it freezes again then reverts to the old tags
  • When editing the same tags on a newly imported song, it doesn't freeze, no matter if it is playing or not, so it seems related to my old library.

I have around 4k songs in my library, don't know if that could help.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 5:01 PM

Turns out I managed to resolve it by myself: turns out that when copying files from my old computer to this new one, I messed up the permissions (since they don't share the same user).

I fixed it by doing

sudo chown -R <my_user> /path/to/my/music/dir

Similar questions

2 replies

ID3 Tags (metadata) bug on old imported Library: edit freezes, and then it goes back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.