Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have entered a wrong password 5 times yet the dialogue box doesn’t appear. What do I do?

this is the only thing I see even after typing in a wrong password for 5/6 times.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 9:43 PM

Hello!

You need to be at the login window.

The login window appears after you turn on, restart, or log out of your Mac. It's not the same as the window you might see when waking your Mac from sleep or stopping the screen saver, though it uses the same password.

• If you see Shut Down, Restart, and Sleep buttons, you're at the login window. 
  • If you see a Switch User button, click it to switch to the login window.
  • If you see different buttons or no buttons, restart your Mac or press and hold its power button for up to 10 seconds, until it turns off. When your Mac restarts or turns on, it starts up to the login window.
  • Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.

Learn more here: If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support.

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2022 9:43 PM in response to sumaiya242

Hello!

You need to be at the login window.

The login window appears after you turn on, restart, or log out of your Mac. It's not the same as the window you might see when waking your Mac from sleep or stopping the screen saver, though it uses the same password.

• If you see Shut Down, Restart, and Sleep buttons, you're at the login window. 
  • If you see a Switch User button, click it to switch to the login window.
  • If you see different buttons or no buttons, restart your Mac or press and hold its power button for up to 10 seconds, until it turns off. When your Mac restarts or turns on, it starts up to the login window.
  • Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.

Learn more here: If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support.

Jack

I have entered a wrong password 5 times yet the dialogue box doesn’t appear. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.