Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps icon not showing that updates are available

I was my understanding that when updates were available, the Apps icon was supposed to display the number, in red, similar to email and chat, etc. However, the number displays only after I enter the Apps store. Is this the way it's supposed to work? Is it a bug? Anyone else having this problem?

G4 Cube, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 9:59 AM

3 replies

Aug 15, 2010 10:00 AM in response to Karen Ram

Karen Ram wrote:
I was my understanding that when updates were available, the Apps icon was supposed to display the number, in red, similar to email and chat, etc. However, the number displays only after I enter the Apps store. Is this the way it's supposed to work? Is it a bug? Anyone else having this problem?

I've seen similar behavior and my understanding is that when you enter the App Store that's when the check for updates is done.

Dave

Aug 15, 2010 11:32 AM in response to Karen Ram

Karen Ram wrote:
So what's the purpose of the indicator if it won't display anything until you've already checked for updates? There needs to be some kind of Push notification -- just like there is for email and chat. Current behavior just doesn't make sense.

Just going to the App Store triggers it for me so I never go to any "check for updates" option. I go to the App Store quite often so I generally am notified pretty quickly on new versions of apps.

Dave

Apps icon not showing that updates are available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.