Related Article: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to factory reset Mac OS Monterrey 12.1, purchased new one but sent the wrong one, trying to reset

How do you do a factory reset a Mac OS Monterrey 12.1. I purchased a new Mac Book Pro, but was sent the wrong one. Luckily I haven't heavily installed all my programs.

But the "erase all contents" is not available, and I tried rebooting and holding down the start button which was suppose to take me to a certain menu, but it never did, so I need help

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 1:56 PM

This article from Apple should provide the needed information.

The caveat is " This feature requires macOS Monterey or later and a Mac with Apple silicon or the Apple T2 Security Chip. 

The trick is to Shutdown the computer and pause before following the direction in the link.

Not Restart the computer and attempt as this just will not work

refer to below link

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support (CA)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 1:56 PM in response to IsraelCano

This article from Apple should provide the needed information.

The caveat is " This feature requires macOS Monterey or later and a Mac with Apple silicon or the Apple T2 Security Chip. 

The trick is to Shutdown the computer and pause before following the direction in the link.

Not Restart the computer and attempt as this just will not work

refer to below link

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support (CA)

Trying to factory reset Mac OS Monterrey 12.1, purchased new one but sent the wrong one, trying to reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.