Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Apple ID Settings for "(null)" to set up iCloud?

I recently updated to Ventura 13.1, and after the update, the system settings app is asking me to "Update Apple ID Settings" for the Apple ID "(null)" because "Some account services will not be available until you sign in again." Entering my regular Apple ID credentials (which is successfully logged into in the settings Apple ID page) is accepted for this requested update, with no error, but it doesn't clear the warning.

I've tried removing the plists for the Apple App Store in the Library and rebooting, thinking that might be related, but that doesn't fix it. I also tried hitting the button in the App Store for "Reset all warnings for buying and downloading", also to no avail.

What else can I try? It looks like it's trying to set up iCloud, but I don't store anything on iCloud (although maybe my keychain is backed up there?), so I don't really care much about that, but I would like to get rid of the warning.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 10:38 AM

I'm not sure what the root problem was, but after contacting Apple support, they asked me to try changing my password on iCloud through the iCloud website, and then log out of my Apple ID locally and log back in again, which worked to clear the notification, and I can access the iCloud settings again.

I suspect some kind of corruption of the keychain, which doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the keychain code, but it appears to be fixed for now.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 10:38 AM in response to gregatar

I'm not sure what the root problem was, but after contacting Apple support, they asked me to try changing my password on iCloud through the iCloud website, and then log out of my Apple ID locally and log back in again, which worked to clear the notification, and I can access the iCloud settings again.

I suspect some kind of corruption of the keychain, which doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the keychain code, but it appears to be fixed for now.

Dec 21, 2022 8:03 AM in response to gregatar

Hi there gregatar,

If you use iCloud Keychain, it's possible that this prompt is related to that. If you go to Apple menu  > System Settings > Apple ID > iCloud, do you see that iCloud Keychain is turned on there? Learn more about that here: Set up iCloud Keychain

If you use Safari to visit your Apple ID page, are you seeing any prompts to update any information there? You can visit this link to check: Manage your Apple ID

If the information above doesn't seem to help, contacting Apple Support directly is the next best step. They're best-equipped to take a closer look at your account and provide some additional guidance. This link will help you get started: Contact - Official Apple Support

Take care.

Dec 21, 2022 10:08 AM in response to Sparks0829

Hi Sparks0829,

Thanks for the suggestions, but my version of macOS (Ventura 13.1) doesn't appear to have the "System Settings" control panel, nor does searching for it turn one up. They seem to have changed the settings app significantly and reorganized things. I also looked for iCloud Keychain and didn't find anything. There is an Apple ID page, but the iCloud page there is just blank, with no controls.

I guess I'll just head over to Apple support.

Thanks again!

Jan 29, 2023 4:03 PM in response to gregatar

Hi I am also having this issue. I/we are using federated apple id's

Have tried the logout login. rebooting in between

The message comes back periodically.

It is sporadic and have no way to replicate easily.

Update Apple ID Settings for "(null)" to set up iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.