Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Advanced Data Protection have be turned on for all my devices?

I have the latest macOS or iOS or iPad OS on four of my six devices. Two of them can't be updated to these latest releases because they are too old to accept them.

If I turn on Advanced Data Protection (ADP) on the four eligible devices, does that mean I won't have access to my iCloud contents on the two without it?

I plan to purchase latest versions of the two older ones during this next year. Do I have to wait until I have all six before I turn on ADP on any of them?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 12:48 PM

Again surprised that no advice from the experienced gurus on this thread. However, I found this excellent article on Wirecutter which answers my question.

Yes, all one's devices have to have this turned on for this to work. As the article points out, however, it won't work on devices without the latest macOs, iPadOs, iOs, updates, so older devices which can't take those latest updates will simply have to be disconnected from iCloud.

Excellent article: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/how-to-set-up-apples-new-icloud-encryption-security-feature/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 12:48 PM in response to jimpal

Again surprised that no advice from the experienced gurus on this thread. However, I found this excellent article on Wirecutter which answers my question.

Yes, all one's devices have to have this turned on for this to work. As the article points out, however, it won't work on devices without the latest macOs, iPadOs, iOs, updates, so older devices which can't take those latest updates will simply have to be disconnected from iCloud.

Excellent article: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/how-to-set-up-apples-new-icloud-encryption-security-feature/

Dec 20, 2022 7:09 AM in response to jimpal

I'm surprised I have not received an answer to this obvious question from the very experienced gurus on this forum. Simply, if I have turned on ADP on my iPhone, does that mean I must then turn on ADP on my other devices to access iCloud? Or are they still free to access iCloud without ADP authorized?

Does Advanced Data Protection have be turned on for all my devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.