Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music on HomePod adding gaps

HomePod has started playing gaps in looping tracks after update to 16.2. We listen to white noise, rain, storms or the ocean on looped tracks to sleep with. After the HomePod automatically updated to 16.2 it has started inserting a gap in the loop or between tracks. Which doesn't help when trying to go to sleep. It will randomly play through without a gap but this is rare.

Will Apple fix this soon or can I reverse the update?

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 10:22 PM

Same here. Strangely enough, after the update, I have discovered that the issues exists on any of my devices. We also use white noise, loops, etc and that’s how we noticed it. I have tried a few things to troubleshoot, including AirPlay directly from a device.

It was then, when I stopped airplaying and the phone kept playing the album that I heard my iPhone skip during playback.

It has been driving me bonkers!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2022 10:22 PM in response to Mel64

Same here. Strangely enough, after the update, I have discovered that the issues exists on any of my devices. We also use white noise, loops, etc and that’s how we noticed it. I have tried a few things to troubleshoot, including AirPlay directly from a device.

It was then, when I stopped airplaying and the phone kept playing the album that I heard my iPhone skip during playback.

It has been driving me bonkers!

Dec 19, 2022 6:05 PM in response to Vancouver22

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it's not a wifi issue and started the first time after updating to 16.2. So far with most of my tests, the gaps are mostly every second loop between the end and start of the track. It happens on all track samples I have tried. The reboot and unplugging also did not change anything. It is happening on both the original and mini HomePods

I thought I had found the problem while running through the HomePod settings. After the reboot the repeat icon had a number 1 on it ( which was not switched on for the last 4 moths since starting the automated playlist). I switched it off but the problem still remains. I am also having Apple music not playing sound until a few seconds into a music track on my Apple TV 4K, so there is no sound for the first few seconds on random tracks. So I am wondering if the issue may be with Apple Music. Music and looped tracks still plays without issue on the MacBook Pro. So it looks like its 16.2 issue for me.

I will unplug the main HomePod for an hour and re boot the wifi again to see if that help. I will be turning auto updates off from now on.

Dec 19, 2022 8:40 PM in response to Mel64

You say “automated playlist”. Is this an Automation you are using via the home app? If so, delete that Automaton and create a new one. Sometimes I have to delete mine and make new. Other things you might want to look at or if this is a playlist you’re using, one of the songs may no longer be available. Or if it’s an Apple Music playlist, a white noise, it could be that they removed one of the tracks. Unfortunately, there’s no sync library working with the HomePods with Apple Music. It will continue to play songs that I deleted from my playlist that shouldn’t be in there. Having said that I do experience pauses in the music from time to time which is usually resolved by rebooting my Wi-Fi.

Jan 8, 2023 5:01 AM in response to CenzoMod

Hi. Have you had any luck in fixing the issue. The problem still happens only on the two HomePods. I can play the looped tracks on my iPad. iPhones and MacBook pro without any gaps in the tracks. I can even airplay to my B&W Zeppelin airplay 1 device without missing a beat. It is only happening on the HomePods after the 6.2 update. I am hoping Apple fix it soon.

Jan 9, 2023 4:25 AM in response to Mel64

I'm seeing the same behavior here. It's really frustrating. It's affecting lots of albums I have that previously played continuously. (I mean - it's affecting 'Renaissance' for goodness' sake...)

Moreover, I have stereo Homepods, and *often* when a new track starts, only one of the Homepods will pick it up, with a lag of maybe a second before the other one starts. *Sometimes* the two tracks are out-of-sync. *Sometimes* very badly, so that the two Homepods are playing completely different parts of the track.

Overall, a very poor update - don't Apple engineers use these machines at home?!

Jan 19, 2023 9:57 PM in response to Mel64

I too use my HomePod for white noise while sleeping. I play a single looped thunder storm track from my iPhone out of the HomePod mini. The track loops fine without any pause between loops on my Apple TV, from the phone directly, and on my iPad. As soon as I stream to the HomePod it randomly starts having breaks between loops. Sometimes no break, sometimes a second or two, and as much as 20 seconds.

It goes from loud booming thunder to deafening silence abruptly, and then back to loud booming thunder again. It’s making it impossible to sleep. Pretty crappy.

I’ve reset my wifi, to no avail. I don’t think it’s that anyway since I can broadcast the track from my phone out the Apple TV speaking with no issue. I’ve tried multiple HomePods (bought a new one out of desperation), and tried streaming from two different phones and an iPad.

Please fix this; I just want to sleep again.

Also, why isn’t there a white noise feature built in that you can ask Siri on the HomePod to play?

Apple Music on HomePod adding gaps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.