Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single User Mode not working (at least not the way it used to do before Ventura)

When I try to start up my iMac using Single User Mode (holding "Command + S" whilst booting), I get the usual white text scrolling over a black screen, but after a short while the cursor stops underneath a line saying "... Finished" and I'm unable to give any input (i.e. typing a command) using the keyboard. I have no other option but to reboot my iMac by pressing and holding the power button for several seconds.

I was able to start up in Single User Mode without any issues before upgrading to macOS Ventura 13.

Does anyone else have the same issue and has found a solution or workaround?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 4:20 AM

Yes, it works on Intel hardware. Although, on a 27" screen it defaults to 5120x2880 which makes the text incredibly tiny. Plus, I had to plug in my wireless Apple keyboard before it would recognize it.

9 replies

Single User Mode not working (at least not the way it used to do before Ventura)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.