Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently deleting apps

I have an iphone 11 and just updated to the 16.1.2 update. I cannot completely delete my apps from my phone. I do NOT want them in my library. So frustrating because every time I try to delete the app the "DELETE APP" does not show up as an option. Why does apple make it so hard to get rid of this junk on my phone? How do I permanently delete an app using the latest update? answers given here do not work as the steps to delete do not show up.

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 8:31 AM

1 reply

Dec 21, 2022 2:54 PM in response to kzei

Hi, kzei,

Thank you for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

You can delete apps from your iPhone following the below guidance, which is taken from the Apple Support article on deleting apps, Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support:

How to delete an app

1. Touch and hold the app.
2. Tap Remove App Remove App icon.
An iPhone screen showing the menu that appears when you touch and hold an app. Remove App is the third option in the menu.
3. Tap Delete App, then tap Delete to confirm.

Keep in mind that some built-in Apple apps can't be deleted from your device, so you might not see the option to delete an app. Here’s a list of built-in Apple apps you can delete from your device. If you can't delete an app that's not made by Apple, disable parental controls, then try deleting the app again.

If you touch and hold an app from the Home Screen and the apps start to jiggle: 
1. Tap the Remove icon  in the upper-left corner of the app.
An iPhone screen showing an app with the Remove icon in the upper-left corner of the app. There's also an Add button in the top left corner of the screen and a Done button in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Tap Delete App, then tap Delete to confirm.
3. Tap Done.

We would also encourage you to update the iOS software to iOS 16.2 if you have not already. Updating not only installs new features and other enhancements, but also resolutions to previously found issues within the iOS functionality. If the inability to delete is one such issue, updating should resolve it: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you're still not able to delete apps in iOS 16.2 after verifying they are not a built-in app that cannot be deleted and that parental controls are not enabled, don't hesitate to respond back.

Best!

Permanently deleting apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.