Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Photos App - Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library”. (3145)

If I select open another library but then select the default system library is gives a message say "Client has requested a rebuild", which I assume means the library is being rebuilt. That's been the case for over 24 hours now,.

Is it being rebuilt and if it is can I ascertain the extend of progress somehow?

iMac

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 9:41 AM

Hi

I finally fixed the problem by the following steps:

1) Booting the iMac into "Safe Mode"

2) Locating the photos library file in Finder (In Pictures on the local start up disk)

3) Double clicking the library file which initiated a "Restore" of the library file.

4) Once the "Restore" completed the Photos App would open successfully.

5) Rebooted into "Normal" mode and verified that the Photo App still open and all the contents were present and correct.

For info the OS was Ventura 13.1 running on a 2017 Retina 5K 27" iMac, with the Photos library file in Pictures on the local Hard Drive (10GB in size).

Local hard drive is a Fusion drive.

I was using iCloud for Photos across all my devices and "Copy items" was clicked in preferences.

Cheers

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 9:41 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Hi

I finally fixed the problem by the following steps:

1) Booting the iMac into "Safe Mode"

2) Locating the photos library file in Finder (In Pictures on the local start up disk)

3) Double clicking the library file which initiated a "Restore" of the library file.

4) Once the "Restore" completed the Photos App would open successfully.

5) Rebooted into "Normal" mode and verified that the Photo App still open and all the contents were present and correct.

For info the OS was Ventura 13.1 running on a 2017 Retina 5K 27" iMac, with the Photos library file in Pictures on the local Hard Drive (10GB in size).

Local hard drive is a Fusion drive.

I was using iCloud for Photos across all my devices and "Copy items" was clicked in preferences.

Cheers

Dec 21, 2022 9:54 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Well, I think you've answered your question, "Is it being rebuilt" -- and it's "not anymore."

It's hard to tell from you question, but is it true that you've opened other Libraries successfully? Have you tried repairing other libraries (after backup!) to see if they work OK? Have you tried Safe Mode?

You don't say, but is this Library in your Pictures folder or maybe on an external drive? What sort of drive and how is it formatted?

You don't say, but are you using iCloud?

Do you have "Copy Items" checked in your preferences?

What version of the OS are you using?

It's always helpful to give more information....

Can't open Photos App - Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library”. (3145)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.