Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot not working for MacBook M1 Air

Hi all, I have a strange one where I can connect my MAcBook M1 Air to my iPhone 12 Pro Max via Hotspot successfully but can't get out to the Internet once that connection has established.

Both the MacBook and iPhone are on the latest releases, macOS 13.1 and IOS 16.2 respectively. Both work via a normal WiFi connection out to the Internet.

When I get a connection via Hotspot I can see that MacBook successfully gets an IP address and from the iPhone Hotspot and I can even ping the iPhone IP address which is acting as a gateway but I cannot get beyond this.

Any attempt to browse, get email etc fails.

I have reset the Network on the iPhone deleted the Hotspot and recreated it. Changed the name on both devices and have tried every permutation of rebooting to no avail.

It is almost like the iPhone is not routing. Initially I thought it was an issue with the iPhone but it can successfully provide a functioning Hotspot connection to other devices with no problem at all. Very puzzling.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 1:44 PM

Thanks for no feedback guys.

Im closing this thread as I have solved the problem myself. It was a static DNS issue that was somehow set for the WiFi connection.

Seems it was a global setting from the WiFi that was affecting the Hotspot interface.

The pinging the iPhone was misleading as even if you have a working hotspot connection you are unable to ping "external" to either a fully qualified hostname or more surprisingly even an explicitly specified IP address.

Once again, thanks to all you Apple experts out there for zero help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 1:44 PM in response to DjsizzleC

Thanks for no feedback guys.

Im closing this thread as I have solved the problem myself. It was a static DNS issue that was somehow set for the WiFi connection.

Seems it was a global setting from the WiFi that was affecting the Hotspot interface.

The pinging the iPhone was misleading as even if you have a working hotspot connection you are unable to ping "external" to either a fully qualified hostname or more surprisingly even an explicitly specified IP address.

Once again, thanks to all you Apple experts out there for zero help.

Hotspot not working for MacBook M1 Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.