Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Glitch: Timeline items not lining up

Hi everyone,

In FCPX, I frequently have timeline items that are one frame "longer" than they appear visually on the magnetic timeline.

Or, in other words, when the two items line up visually (see image 1), the photo (top item in the magnetic timeline) extends past the white background (lower item) and spills onto the next frame of A-Roll.

But when I trim the photo by one frame (see image 2), the last frame of the photo now ends with the last frame of the white background.

If you look at image 3, even though the items are not visually lined up on the timeline, the "+00:00" shows that the top item is not longer than the bottom.

Image 1.

Image 2.

Image 3.

It's endurable, but unbelievably irritating in the long run. If someone knows how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

-X

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 3:45 AM

6 replies

Dec 21, 2022 3:50 AM in response to xavier_peligroso

You may want to try deleting the application preferences - always worth it when the application appears to misbehave.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences.

The application will start in a default state, and open an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

Dec 21, 2022 3:58 AM in response to xavier_peligroso

In image 1 it looks like you’re on the last frame in the project. I don’t see anything else after it. When it’s lined up as shown the application shows you the previous frame even though it really should show black.

I’m image 2 you should see the white background.

Image 3 is the same as image 2 except the edit is selected but unchanged.

Glitch: Timeline items not lining up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.