Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop from iPhone 8 to Mac not Working after Installing iOS 16 on iPhone

I run the following software/operating systems on the listed devices:

iMac: macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6

iPhone 8: iOS Version 16.2

Prior to upgrading from iOS 15.7 I could AirDrop files between the above devices, but since installing iOS 16 I cannot AirDrop from my phone to the Mac or vice versa. And I haven’t made any changes to the settings on the phone and Mac.

Settings for AirDrop on Mac: Allow me to be discovered is set to Everyone and both devices are connected to the same WiFi network and the same iCloud account. Bluetooth is also enabled on both devices.

Settings for AirDrop on iPhone: Allow me to be discovered is set to Everyone for 10 minutes. I have also tried changing this to Contacts only, but still I cannot AirDrop a file from my phone to the Mac.

Troubleshooting Actions

1.    Disabled and re-enabled WiFi on both devices – issue not resolved.

2.   Rebooted both the phone and Mac – issue not resolved. 

3.   Tried disabling and re-enabling Bluetooth on both devices. It’s easy to do this on the phone, but when I try disabling Bluetooth on the Mac, a warning message appears “You cannot control your computer if you turn Bluetooth off at this time.” Both my mouse and keyboard use Bluetooth to connect to the Mac. 

4.   I temporarily tured the Mac firewall off - issue not resolved. 

5.   Mac Firewall settings: please see attached screenshot

Please assist as I use AirDrop frequently.

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 12:18 PM

Hey there Brian,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, you've done a great job troubleshooting the issue already. Going forward, when you say that AirDrop isn't working, are you not able to see your Mac or iPhone in the list of devices?

If so, then based on the information you've provided, and the steps you've gone through, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly from this link here: Get Support - Apple

They'll be the best option to take a closer look into the issue from here.

Best regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 12:18 PM in response to brian mck

Hey there Brian,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, you've done a great job troubleshooting the issue already. Going forward, when you say that AirDrop isn't working, are you not able to see your Mac or iPhone in the list of devices?

If so, then based on the information you've provided, and the steps you've gone through, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly from this link here: Get Support - Apple

They'll be the best option to take a closer look into the issue from here.

Best regards.

AirDrop from iPhone 8 to Mac not Working after Installing iOS 16 on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.