Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing 7 old backups on Time Machine disk does rarely free up space

I want to backup the files on my current Macbook Pro through Time Machine, but there is not enough space. I therefore removed 7 old backups of my previous Macbook Pro. This didn't help at all. It took ages and only 50GB has been removed. There are now 3 backups left of my previous Macbook Pro and 1 of my current Macbook Pro. Time Machine does not remove this backup of my current Macbook Pro when making a new backup. Total space of the disk should be 1TB and all that is free is 100GB (although it also contains 200GB of separate files I put on the disk).

I know each backup takes up space equal to the difference with previous backups and thus removing them could only free up minimally. However, that makes it also impossible that those remaining 4 backups are 700GB together, doesn't it? What is is wrong here? How can I fix this?

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 9:45 AM

I understand you erased individual backup files, in an effort to increase available space. If that is correct, the Time Machine backup database is likely to have been corrupted and should no longer be considered reliable. Adding other, non-Time Machine files to a backup disk designated for Time Machine's exclusive use is not a good idea either.

The solution is to completely erase the backup drive and start a new set, for each Mac. You may use one backup drive to back up multiple Macs, but it's not ideal.

To learn how to use Time Machine, please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support. I recommend that you do not stray beyond the limitations of those instructions or expect Time Machine to do something other than what it explicitly states.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 9:45 AM in response to Dana2244

I understand you erased individual backup files, in an effort to increase available space. If that is correct, the Time Machine backup database is likely to have been corrupted and should no longer be considered reliable. Adding other, non-Time Machine files to a backup disk designated for Time Machine's exclusive use is not a good idea either.

The solution is to completely erase the backup drive and start a new set, for each Mac. You may use one backup drive to back up multiple Macs, but it's not ideal.

To learn how to use Time Machine, please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support. I recommend that you do not stray beyond the limitations of those instructions or expect Time Machine to do something other than what it explicitly states.

Removing 7 old backups on Time Machine disk does rarely free up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.