Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple support Remote Desktop

Hello. What Kind of software does Apple Support use, when they connect to my Mac over the internet for support?

Remote Desktop

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 8:26 PM

Hi le-papillon,

Apple uses their own proprietary tool that has a module built into macOS.

You can leverage something similar with your mother in law by doing the following:

1. Make sure that she is signed in to iCloud on her Mac, and has iCloud Keychain enabled.
  2. On your Mac, open the Screen Sharing app. If Spotlight doesn't show it, it's located at: /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Screen Sharing.app
  3. In the Screen Sharing app, enter the email address that your mother in law uses for her Apple ID.
  4. Your MIL's Mac should show a notification saying that you (it shows your Apple ID email address) want to connect to her Mac. She can then accept or deny the prompt.
  5. If she accepts, she can choose whether to let you control, or only observe the screen. She can change her mind at any time during the session.
  6. The microphones on both Macs will also be activated by default, so it also turns into an audio call.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 8:26 PM in response to le-papillon

Hi le-papillon,

Apple uses their own proprietary tool that has a module built into macOS.

You can leverage something similar with your mother in law by doing the following:

1. Make sure that she is signed in to iCloud on her Mac, and has iCloud Keychain enabled.
  2. On your Mac, open the Screen Sharing app. If Spotlight doesn't show it, it's located at: /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Screen Sharing.app
  3. In the Screen Sharing app, enter the email address that your mother in law uses for her Apple ID.
  4. Your MIL's Mac should show a notification saying that you (it shows your Apple ID email address) want to connect to her Mac. She can then accept or deny the prompt.
  5. If she accepts, she can choose whether to let you control, or only observe the screen. She can change her mind at any time during the session.
  6. The microphones on both Macs will also be activated by default, so it also turns into an audio call.

Dec 21, 2022 1:38 PM in response to le-papillon

It's internal to Apple. They send a request, and you then agree to allow remote access. It's a privacy block so Apple can't login to anyone's device without the user's knowledge or permission.

You just have to be certain you called Apple's official support line number, and not one of many scam sites that turn up on a search claiming to be Apple Support.

Dec 21, 2022 2:46 PM in response to le-papillon

le-papillon wrote:

You don’t understand what I mean.
My mother in law has a MacBook and lives 3 hours away and want my support with the MacBook
now I give remote support with teamview and I want to give the remote support like Apple support does.
is that possible?

No you can not use Apple's tool. You need to use Team Viewer, Zoom, or other remote connection app.

Dec 30, 2022 11:04 AM in response to le-papillon

It does, but it requires more complex setup on the local router to get the IP and port forwarding so Remote Desktop can connect to the remote computer.

For an easier time, it may be better to use something like TeamViewer like you are already doing.

You won't get any meaningful difference using Apple's Remote Desktop over TeamViewer.

Apple support Remote Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.