Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prepaid eSim? I cannot believe my iPhone 14 Pro with Consumer Cellular esim will be a brick in Mexico

Just found out that I won't be able to use my iPhone 14 Pro with eSim in Mexico!

I purchased my iPhone 14 Pro in September from Consumer Cellular. It is locked for 6 months. They do not have an eSim that works in Mexico!

Is it possible to buy a prepaid eSim that I could install on the phone?

I believe the iPhone can support multiple eSims. Has anyone does this? Advice?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 5:12 PM

After a full, frustrating day of communications with my carrier (Consumer Cellular) and Apple, here is what I have learned.

1. Next month, I will be traveling with a wifi-on brick in Mexico (my iPhone 14 Pro)
  2. Consumer Cellular's eSim doesn't function in Mexico.
  3. I purchased my phone through Consumer Cellular, thus it is locked until April.
  4. I can't use a pre-paid eSim (as a dual eSim),, if the phone is locked.
  5. Consumer Cellular says that Apple, by contract, requires carriers to lock new phones for 6 months. No exceptions.
  6. Apple responds with "we can't lock or unlock carrier settings". Well, ok. But what if Consumer Cellular's statement is correct - this it is an Apple requirement? This means Apple comes up with blazing new technology (eSims), and ties the hands of the carriers to allow workarounds when networks can't support the new technology. The customer ends up paying the price.
  7. Lesson learned: Never by an iPhone through a carrier (this was my first locked phone).
Dennis Hagen wrote:

Just found out that I won't be able to use my iPhone 14 Pro with eSim in Mexico!
I purchased my iPhone 14 Pro in September from Consumer Cellular. It is locked for 6 months. They do not have an eSim that works in Mexico!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 5:12 PM in response to Dennis Hagen

After a full, frustrating day of communications with my carrier (Consumer Cellular) and Apple, here is what I have learned.

1. Next month, I will be traveling with a wifi-on brick in Mexico (my iPhone 14 Pro)
  2. Consumer Cellular's eSim doesn't function in Mexico.
  3. I purchased my phone through Consumer Cellular, thus it is locked until April.
  4. I can't use a pre-paid eSim (as a dual eSim),, if the phone is locked.
  5. Consumer Cellular says that Apple, by contract, requires carriers to lock new phones for 6 months. No exceptions.
  6. Apple responds with "we can't lock or unlock carrier settings". Well, ok. But what if Consumer Cellular's statement is correct - this it is an Apple requirement? This means Apple comes up with blazing new technology (eSims), and ties the hands of the carriers to allow workarounds when networks can't support the new technology. The customer ends up paying the price.
  7. Lesson learned: Never by an iPhone through a carrier (this was my first locked phone).
Dennis Hagen wrote:

Dec 21, 2022 2:23 PM in response to Dennis Hagen

Check if this helps, see -> About eSIM on iPhone -> About eSIM on iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

scroll to:

Mexico

AT&T 

Telcel

Movistar

Worldwide service providers allow you to stay connected with pre-paid data plans that you can use at home or when you travel in over 190 countries and regions. You can also purchase a plan before travelling, making staying connected even easier.

Dec 21, 2022 4:52 PM in response to Kurtosis12

In speaking with Consumer Cellular, Apple requires that phones sold by a carrier must remain locked for 6 months. This is part of the agreement that the carrier makes with Apple. So, Consumer Cellular can't unlock the phone. I think I'm stuck with a brick while in Mexico. Luckily my wife has a 13 Pro, with a Sim card, so we will at least have one phone that works (even though all the reservations, etc, list by phone number).

Prepaid eSim? I cannot believe my iPhone 14 Pro with Consumer Cellular esim will be a brick in Mexico

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.