Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to rewind video on a Mac?

Does anyone know a way to rewind a few seconds back when watching a video that doesn't display video controls?

This is an example video that I would like to have rewind controls for:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmZigXeIIzv/

I've noticed that when viewing videos on instagram, there's no video player options to allow one to scrub back and forth in the video. Whenever I study Mandarin and French, I always wish there was a way for me to rewind a few seconds in case I didn't catch something. Even the holding the rewind key doesn't seem to do anything, which is strange because the pause and forward buttons both work as intended. The back arrow button also doesn't allow me to rewind either, like it does in Youtube.

I didn't have this problem prior because on my previous 2020 13" MacBook Pro a video scrub controller would appear on the Touch Bar whenever a video was being played.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 6:34 PM

derbers wrote:

I mean it’s not so much instagram videos specific. The trouble I’m running into seems to be the case for any video on any browser that doesn’t display video control options🤔

? Well no matter what you do Instagram is not going to scrub— so that was a very poor example to throw out there.

Try a different browser and compare your results...

Customize the Touchbar as referenced above—and see if you can make it better for yourself...

Refer to the customize your Touchbar—verify your Settings make changes(?)

Customize the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

Application specific, if it applies:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 6:34 PM in response to derbers

derbers wrote:

I mean it’s not so much instagram videos specific. The trouble I’m running into seems to be the case for any video on any browser that doesn’t display video control options🤔

? Well no matter what you do Instagram is not going to scrub— so that was a very poor example to throw out there.

Try a different browser and compare your results...

Customize the Touchbar as referenced above—and see if you can make it better for yourself...

Application specific, if it applies:

Dec 21, 2022 6:16 PM in response to derbers

derbers wrote:

Does anyone know a way to rewind a few seconds back when watching a video that doesn't display video controls?

This is an example video that I would like to have rewind controls for:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CmZigXeIIzv/

I've noticed that when viewing videos on instagram, there's no video player options to allow one to scrub back and forth in the video.

The back arrow button also doesn't allow me to rewind either, like it does in Youtube.

I didn't have this problem prior because on my previous 2020 13" MacBook Pro a video scrub controller would appear on the Touch Bar whenever a video was being played.

I never knew Instagram to have a scrub feature.

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates/uninstall:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Instagram Help Center

How to rewind video on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.