Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I repurpose a pair of iMac 27' 5K Retina displays to use as monitors on a Mac Studio

How can I repurpose a pair of iMac 27' 5K Retina displays to use as monitors on a Mac Studio

I have a pair of Late 2015 i5 27' iMacs. Both are 5K screens and fitted with dual Thunderbolt 2.0 ports and I bought them in late 2016 I reckon. I'd like to buy a Mac Studio but rather than having to shell out $5k for a pair of monitors, I'm wondering is it possible to repurpose my iMacs to use as monitors with the Mac Studio and if so, how do I do this? Cheers - Kevin

Mac Studio

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 2:57 AM

5 replies

Dec 22, 2022 8:48 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes, VikingOSX has a very good + valid point… you really should use/buy actual monitors… i don’t think it’d cost $5,000 for 2, unless, say, you wanted to shell out the $ for apple’s new studio monitors, in that case all bets would be off… I’m sure you could find something in that price range for two of them… that being said, your only option would be “Duet Display”… use google and look it up…

-just for giggles, I looked up the price of 1 display, with regular glass, $2,000, with nano-glass, $2300, and then you have to include taxes.. and maybe shipping charges…. So yeah, there’s your $ 5,000

john b

Dec 22, 2022 10:49 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks Viking... I sort of thought that might be the case but it was worth asking the Q. As I've become completely rusted on to the image quality of the 5K that I got from my iMacs, I guess a pair of apple displays is what it'll have to be. $2499 in Australia for the standard screen and no fancy height/tilt adjust.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.