Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unstable screen refresh rate.

After I updated my software to iPadOS 16.2

My iPad Pro screen refresh rate became unstable.

Especially when I play games. After logging in and entering the game, for a few seconds, like 2-5 seconds, my iPad Pro refresh rate become limited to 60Hz, which the note (it is rhythm game) came very sluggish and not smooth, like it was lagging.

I tried on other rhythm games too, and it was the same result.

If I record my gameplay, the playback at gallery is normal like nothing wrong.

I have tried to restart, reduce motion, turning off the background refresh app, and detach any accecories, but unfortunately, all have the same result.

I wonder, is M1 can really this problematic? Or it is just other else.

iPad Pro

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 2:56 PM

Hello Sako177,

Let's resolve your performance issue by completing the steps listed here: If your iPhone or iPad is running slow that are also listed below.

"Check your network conditions

Many apps require an internet connection for their content and other functionality. If the network that you're connected to is congested — for example, at an event with many people using the same network — apps might take a while to open or display their content. Your device can also seem slow as it repeatedly reconnects to new cell towers when you're in a moving vehicle.

Even if your device indicates a strong signal, you might need to wait, try again in a different location, or use available Wi-Fi. If you continue to experience issues with cellular data speed, availability, or performance in multiple locations, contact your carrier.

Learn more about cellular data >

Close an app that's not responding

If an app stops responding or freezes, you might need to force it to close and then open it again.*

1. From the Home Screen of iPhone X or later or iPad, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause slightly in the middle of the screen. On iPhone 8 or earlier, double-click the Home button to show your most recently used apps.
  2. Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close.
  3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app.

* Under normal conditions, forcing an app to close is not necessary and does not make your device run faster. In fact, an app takes longer to open after a force close because it has to reload all of its data.

Learn what to do if an app repeatedly stops responding >

Make sure you have enough storage

If your device is low on storage, iOS or iPadOS automatically frees up space while installing an app, updating iOS or iPadOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more. iOS or iPadOS only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore.

You can check your device's storage in Settings > General > [Device] Storage. For best performance, try to maintain at least 1GB of free space. If your available storage is consistently less than 1GB, your device might slow down as iOS or iPadOS repeatedly makes room for more content.

If you need to free up some space, follow these steps to turn on the storage-saving recommendations built in to iOS or iPadOS:

1. Go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage and read the recommendations that iOS or iPadOS might provide.
  2. Tap Enable to turn on a recommendation, or tap a recommendation title to review the content that you can delete.

If you don't see any recommendations — or if you need to free up even more space — you can review the apps on your device. They're listed on the same [Device] Storage screen along with the amount of space that they use.

Tap an app, then choose from the options:

• Offload the app, which frees up storage used by the app, but keeps its documents and data.
  • Delete the app, which removes the app and its related data.
  • Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of its documents and data.

Learn more ways to optimize your storage >

Turn off Low Power Mode

Low Power Mode is an iPhone and iPad feature that extends battery life by reducing the amount of power that your device uses. In Low Power Mode, some features are turned off and some tasks might take longer to complete. If your battery icon is yellow, Low Power Mode is on.

Consider leaving Low Power Mode off if you need your iPhone or iPad to function without low-power restrictions. You can turn Low Power Mode on or off in Settings > Battery.

Get more information about Low Power Mode >

Keep your device from getting too hot or cold

iOS or iPadOS adjusts your device's performance if it's become too warm due to external conditions, like being left in a hot car or used for an extended time in direct sunlight. Move your device to a cooler location and let its temperature adjust. 

Very cold temperatures can also slow your device. If your device runs slowly after being exposed to cold, move it to a warmer location.

Learn more about acceptable operating temperatures >

Look at your battery health

All rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they chemically age. Over time, the rechargeable batteries in all iPhone and iPad models will diminish in their capacity and peak performance and will eventually need to be replaced. iOS can show show battery health and recommend if an iPhone battery needs to be replaced. Go to Settings > Battery and tap Battery Health. Battery Health is available only on iPhone."

Check your iPhone battery >

Best regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 2:56 PM in response to Sako177

Hello Sako177,

Let's resolve your performance issue by completing the steps listed here: If your iPhone or iPad is running slow that are also listed below.

"Check your network conditions

Many apps require an internet connection for their content and other functionality. If the network that you're connected to is congested — for example, at an event with many people using the same network — apps might take a while to open or display their content. Your device can also seem slow as it repeatedly reconnects to new cell towers when you're in a moving vehicle.

Even if your device indicates a strong signal, you might need to wait, try again in a different location, or use available Wi-Fi. If you continue to experience issues with cellular data speed, availability, or performance in multiple locations, contact your carrier.

Learn more about cellular data >

Close an app that's not responding

If an app stops responding or freezes, you might need to force it to close and then open it again.*

1. From the Home Screen of iPhone X or later or iPad, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause slightly in the middle of the screen. On iPhone 8 or earlier, double-click the Home button to show your most recently used apps.
  2. Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close.
  3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app.

* Under normal conditions, forcing an app to close is not necessary and does not make your device run faster. In fact, an app takes longer to open after a force close because it has to reload all of its data.

Learn what to do if an app repeatedly stops responding >

Make sure you have enough storage

If your device is low on storage, iOS or iPadOS automatically frees up space while installing an app, updating iOS or iPadOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more. iOS or iPadOS only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore.

You can check your device's storage in Settings > General > [Device] Storage. For best performance, try to maintain at least 1GB of free space. If your available storage is consistently less than 1GB, your device might slow down as iOS or iPadOS repeatedly makes room for more content.

If you need to free up some space, follow these steps to turn on the storage-saving recommendations built in to iOS or iPadOS:

1. Go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage and read the recommendations that iOS or iPadOS might provide.
  2. Tap Enable to turn on a recommendation, or tap a recommendation title to review the content that you can delete.

If you don't see any recommendations — or if you need to free up even more space — you can review the apps on your device. They're listed on the same [Device] Storage screen along with the amount of space that they use.

Tap an app, then choose from the options:

• Offload the app, which frees up storage used by the app, but keeps its documents and data.
  • Delete the app, which removes the app and its related data.
  • Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of its documents and data.

Learn more ways to optimize your storage >

Turn off Low Power Mode

Low Power Mode is an iPhone and iPad feature that extends battery life by reducing the amount of power that your device uses. In Low Power Mode, some features are turned off and some tasks might take longer to complete. If your battery icon is yellow, Low Power Mode is on.

Consider leaving Low Power Mode off if you need your iPhone or iPad to function without low-power restrictions. You can turn Low Power Mode on or off in Settings > Battery.

Get more information about Low Power Mode >

Keep your device from getting too hot or cold

iOS or iPadOS adjusts your device's performance if it's become too warm due to external conditions, like being left in a hot car or used for an extended time in direct sunlight. Move your device to a cooler location and let its temperature adjust. 

Very cold temperatures can also slow your device. If your device runs slowly after being exposed to cold, move it to a warmer location.

Learn more about acceptable operating temperatures >

Look at your battery health

All rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they chemically age. Over time, the rechargeable batteries in all iPhone and iPad models will diminish in their capacity and peak performance and will eventually need to be replaced. iOS can show show battery health and recommend if an iPhone battery needs to be replaced. Go to Settings > Battery and tap Battery Health. Battery Health is available only on iPhone."

Check your iPhone battery >

Best regards.

Dec 25, 2022 11:30 PM in response to K_Wall44

1. Battery Health is Great, because after I check it with 3rd party, the app says my Battery Health still at level 100%.
  2. Trun off Low Power Mode, never use this oone on my iPad Pro.
  3. Make sure of the storage. Yes, done, still have around 200GB remaining.
  4. Close any apps that not responding, also done it everytime.

So, these left :

1. Keeping my device from getting too cold or hot. Still considering it. Because I mostly play on my bed, with case. But I am sure it just warm not too hot nor cold.
  2. Network connection. After I changing to my personal mobile hotspot , it getting better, but after several times of playing (the same rhythm game) it back to lag like it was 60Hz.
  3. Or maybe the vibration I've made? Just because playing it on my bed and the iPad keep bouncing and shaking that make some issue with the iPad? :D I guess it is not. I am pretty sure most of devices these day can reduce shaking and boucing issue that causes lagging or something not comfort to use (see)

Dec 27, 2022 8:10 PM in response to ShannonM1

I've already know the problem are.

Thank you for your advice, I still don't know if contacting Apple Support for they take a deeper look with frame rates issue any longer needed.

First, My internet connection issue, I'm not sure enough which one, maybe my connection not fast or stable enough to use. I have tried disconnect all of my devices from the WiFi and it is good. No frame rates issue anymore. After that, when I connect them all once and playing youtube and other streaming paltform, the frame rate issue come again.

Second, the vibartion issue. Maybe causing by playing on bed, and the vibration when touching iPad make my eyes uncomfortable to see.

So thank you, for help this issue

Jan 22, 2023 3:46 AM in response to Sako177

Google "stutter iOS 16 games" and you will find hundreds of comments like yours - everyone on iOS and iPadOS 16+ has the same mess of lag nonstop while gaming.

Apple acknowledged it as a bug with ProMotion last November, but hasn't done anything to fix it yet.

The replies above suggesting it's somehow your fault could literally not be any further from the truth, Google it and you will find hundreds of people saying the same thing.

Unstable screen refresh rate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.