Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad os 16.2 causing battery drain while screen is off

On Friday (12/16/22) I updated my iPad Pro to 16.2. Since then the battery has been draining rapidly while the screen is off. I attached a screenshot of my battery settings page - On Dec 17, 18, 20, and 21 you can see the battery usage is way higher than activity. On Dec 21 I didn’t use my iPad at all, yet battery drained 60%. The app section shows that “Home & Lock Screen” used 70% of the battery.

This suddenly started after updating to 16.2. Anyone else have this issue?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 9:46 AM

Housekeeping/file management of iOS is always performed for a few days immediately after an iOS update. This process is normal and can run in the background, even with the screen off. These processes won't show up in any meaningful way (such as what processes are being run) except under the battery usage. Wait a few more days to see if the processes diminish.

For more info, Google "battery drain after ios update".

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 9:46 AM in response to cjohnson585

Housekeeping/file management of iOS is always performed for a few days immediately after an iOS update. This process is normal and can run in the background, even with the screen off. These processes won't show up in any meaningful way (such as what processes are being run) except under the battery usage. Wait a few more days to see if the processes diminish.

For more info, Google "battery drain after ios update".

ipad os 16.2 causing battery drain while screen is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.