Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Problems

1. Using Preview....used to be speedy when searching in a PDF large document. Now with Ventura is very slow....almost not usable.
  2. Photos: The new cropping tools are not as good as the old ones....and frequently (even when Photos is the only program open) edits are not saved or perhaps it takes a long time? This is real down-grade from the previous version.

Has anyone else noticed these things?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 7:04 AM

Thanks. That makes some sense. I think there's at least one copy that comes in 14 volumes.

FWIW, the fact that it is searchable quickly in Monterey seems to indicate something is up local to your Mac. As I mentioned, I have no problem searching with Preview in Ventura. I wish I knew what the issue might be.

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 22, 2022 2:44 PM in response to Allan Dibiase

I don't sue any of the usual suspects. I've noticed that you haven't rebooted in 8 days. It's wise to reboot frequently (I shut down at night and reboot in the morning) and with a SSD boot drive it should take much more than 30 seconds. That will clear our temporary system and application case and swap files. It helps performance.

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Then make it a routine to reboot more often.

Dec 23, 2022 6:29 AM in response to Allan Dibiase

Allan Dibiase wrote:

Thanks. The 2015 was just a test run using Preview on the same search on an older system and it worked fine. I want to do this search on a Mac mini M1 running updated Ventura, on a fast internet connection. Does not work.

You're welcome. I'm not sure what your internet connection has to do with anything.

In Photos....more a complaint about the "updated" cropping tool. It is not an improvement over Monterey. And after using it the adjustments are not always saved.

As far as the changes in Photos, feel free to send Apple feedback. Feedback - macOS - Apple

Dec 22, 2022 10:41 AM in response to Allan Dibiase

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Dec 23, 2022 5:10 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you. I've run the disk utility. Rebooted. Started in safe mode. Set up a second user account. Reinstalled a fresh copy of Ventura.

My test has been searching a 7,000 page PDF using the search term "Dec. 24". It seems to me in the system previous to Ventura a similar search gave me numerous hits in a few seconds. Now, just a spinning gear.

I've tried this on an IMac 2017 (also running Ventura) with similar results.

Finally, did the search on a 2015 MacBook Pro running Monterey. Immediately it returned multiple results.

Dec 23, 2022 6:20 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks. The 2015 was just a test run using Preview on the same search on an older system and it worked fine. I want to do this search on a Mac mini M1 running updated Ventura, on a fast internet connection. Does not work.

In Photos....more a complaint about the "updated" cropping tool. It is not an improvement over Monterey. And after using it the adjustments are not always saved.

Dec 23, 2022 6:40 AM in response to dialabrain

The 7,000 page PDF resides in iCloud. I tested the search on a copy on my desktop and and also in iCloud where I normally use it. Similar non-functional results. So I will report this to Apple too for what it's worth. It works fine on a computer running Monterey. Puzzling. I have tried all other recommended fixes on the macmini without any success.

Two Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.