Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does it mean when it says, "People will finish updating when Photos is in the background." I'm trying to add a person to "People," but haven't figured out how to do that.

I can't add my newest granddaughters to the PEOPLE section of Photos

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 9:33 AM

New people get added when there is a new person to add (not being glib, really...)

So you have to find a picture of "Mary Ann" that says "unnamed" under it, and type in her name. You can type Mary, or Mary Ann, or Mary Ann Smith, or "granddaughter #1"-- anything you like. You can change it later. Then that picture with that name will show up in the people list. If Photos finds others who look like that, it will put them in that slot, too.

Use the People album in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 9:33 AM in response to cherylfrombuda

New people get added when there is a new person to add (not being glib, really...)

So you have to find a picture of "Mary Ann" that says "unnamed" under it, and type in her name. You can type Mary, or Mary Ann, or Mary Ann Smith, or "granddaughter #1"-- anything you like. You can change it later. Then that picture with that name will show up in the people list. If Photos finds others who look like that, it will put them in that slot, too.

Use the People album in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 23, 2022 9:41 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I want to comment on "If Photos finds others who look like that,"

Like it or not, all babies look kind of alike. Photos will have a hard time. Another person here,

léonie, has some suggestions about how to deal with Photos asking you if this picture is of Mary Ann.

Show "Confirm Additional Faces" photos de… - Apple Community

Also, add a keyword, maybe MaryAnn, to the Photos with her in them. Keywords export with pictures, and they can be read by other viewers. Face recognition only works in Photos.

What does it mean when it says, "People will finish updating when Photos is in the background." I'm trying to add a person to "People," but haven't figured out how to do that.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.