You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID broken for App Store

So this has been a problem for a few years now. One day, touch ID works fine in the App Store. Then out of nowhere, without you changing any settings, you try to download an app. And the App Store app requires you to enter your password. You try to download again, and it just keeps asking for a password. Any download you try, will ask you for a password. No touch id available.

The only temporary workaround, because it is just a temporary workaround. You have to turn off Touch ID for the App Store in Settings. Reboot your device. Then turn it off and on again (because after you reboot, iOS automatically turns touch id back on again. And yes, you have to turn it back off and on again. Because if you don’t, the temp workaround doesn’t work). So, again, you have to reboot, turn off, then turn touch id back on again. Enter your password. Then everything is back to normal. You can now start using touch id in the app store. Until it just randomly stops working again. Which again, has been happening for years. Yes, I am on the latest version of iOS and iPadOS. Updates have never fixed this problem.

I really don’t get it. This has been a known issue for a very, very long time. Apple has come out with bunch of iOS versions. And yet this is still happening. Truly, this is not Steve Jobs’ Apple. There were far, far fewer issues with him at the helm. Cook, not so much. The old, “It Just Works”, is no more. Now it’s, “Hopefully, It Works”. Lol Though under Cook, who’s all about the bottom line. This is intentional. So that all those that still have older devices that still uses touch ID, are frustrated enough that they purchase the latest and “greatest”. Much like when they slowed down older iPhones, whenever new iPhones were coming out. Apple finally admitted to that after years of denying. Because they couldn’t hide the truth anymore.

iPad Pro

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 5:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 6:37 PM

That would make sense. If once you entered your password again, you wouldn’t need to keep doing so moving forward. And that’s the problem. Once it “randomly” asks you to, it will just keep requiring you to enter it. Until you do the workaround I mentioned.

Just turning Touch ID for App Store on and off, won’t get it working again. Like I said, you have to turn it off, reboot your device, and turn it back off and on again. Then enter your credentials. That is the only way to get Touch ID again. That is not normal. That is a glitch.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 25, 2022 6:37 PM in response to SergZak

That would make sense. If once you entered your password again, you wouldn’t need to keep doing so moving forward. And that’s the problem. Once it “randomly” asks you to, it will just keep requiring you to enter it. Until you do the workaround I mentioned.

Just turning Touch ID for App Store on and off, won’t get it working again. Like I said, you have to turn it off, reboot your device, and turn it back off and on again. Then enter your credentials. That is the only way to get Touch ID again. That is not normal. That is a glitch.

Jan 6, 2023 12:19 PM in response to LotusPilot

Unfortunately, none of these apply to me. I know of these. But they are inconsistent with when Touch ID stops working for the App Store. Because the only thing affected on my iPad, is the App Store. I’m not required to reset, or re-enter passcode for anything else. And if it’s just about re-entering your passcode for the App Store. Shouldn’t it be, once you enter your passcode again, you don’t have to keep doing so afterwards. As well, why is the Touch ID for App Store setting is still turned on. And turning it on and off, doesn’t do anything. Again, I have to keep doing the workaround I mentioned, to get it back working again, for a limited time. This wasn’t the case before several years ago. Again, this is a glitch. If there is no solution for a problem that people have been griping about for years (go check it online). It’s a problem with the software. There is no other explanation.

Oh, and that new Face ID while wearing a mask. It doesn’t work. At least not for me. I followed the instructions on my iPhone. And Face ID works. Just now while I’m wearing a mask. Among other issues I’ve been experiencing since my iPhone 11 Pro (running 15.3.1). Oh Apple. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jan 6, 2023 1:40 PM in response to Eric Shawn2

Decided to contact Apple Tech about this. And based on what I told them (what I posted here). They confirmed this does not fall within the Apple Security guidelines people have been insisting on. They said, this is a software issue. And because it’s been happening for me for years, since my old 9.7” iPad pro. It could be something that kept getting restored from old backups.

However, because my current 12” iPad pro, was never restored from an old backup, and was set up as new. They are a little perplexed. So asked me to go to extremes in troubleshooting. Basically, for about a month, I can’t use my iPad as I would on a day to day. I’m told to reset it as new, don’t restore. And keep an eye out to see if it happens. Now based on experience, this may take as long as a month. I use my iPad daily (it’s like a laptop for me). And not being able to use it for about a month is problematic.

If I do choose to go this route, if it continues to happen, then I would need to call Apple back to let them know results. And we would move from there. If it doesn’t return, then to restore from latest backup, and see if it comes back. Then move from there. Such a PITA!

So according to Apple Tech, this is a “glitch”.

Jan 4, 2023 4:42 PM in response to Eric Shawn2

As documented by Apple in its Security Guide, for devices with TouchID or FaceID enabled, you device Passcode will be required in the following circumstances…

A passcode or password is also required if the device is in any of the following states:

• The device has just been turned on or restarted

• The user has logged out of their Mac account (or hasn’t yet logged in).

• The user hasn’t unlocked their device for more than 48 hours.

• The user hasn’t used their passcode or password to unlock their device for 156 hours (six and a half days), and the user hasn’t used a biometric to unlock their device in

4 hours.

• The device has received a remote lock command

• The user exited power off / Emergency SOS by pressing and holding either volume button and the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously for 2 seconds and then pressing Cancel.

• There were five unsuccessful biometric match attempts (though for usability, the device might offer entering a passcode or password instead of using biometrics after a smaller number of failures).

When Face ID with a mask is enabled on an iPhone, it’s available for the next 6.5 hours after one of the following user actions:

• Successful Face ID match attempt (with or without a mask)

• Device passcode validation

• Device unlock with Apple Watch

Any of these actions extends the period by an additional 6.5 hours when performed.

Touch ID broken for App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.