Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I select text in Books

Highlighting and copying lines in Books.

I can’t select any text in recently purchased Apple books. I like to do that to take notes.

Also sometimes I want to look up definitions of single words by selecting them.

I no longer can select text in Books.

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 5:24 AM

Ensure that you have updated your iPad to the most recent version of iPadOS - at time of writing, this being iPadOS 16.2.

Having updated to the most recent version, if difficulties persist, perform a forced-restart of your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 5:24 AM in response to waldhaus1

Ensure that you have updated your iPad to the most recent version of iPadOS - at time of writing, this being iPadOS 16.2.

Having updated to the most recent version, if difficulties persist, perform a forced-restart of your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Dec 28, 2022 8:43 AM in response to waldhaus1

I have force restarted twice. iPad os is the latest released version. Still I am unable to select or highlight text. I am wondering if some other installed app could be interfering. This removes a lot of value from the books app for me. No problem with Kindle app. I would actually prefer using the Books app. Not sure where to go from here.

Jan 22, 2023 12:00 PM in response to LotusPilot

Interesting those same books in Kindle allow me to dopy. I like to make occasional text high lites or text notes. I believe Books used to support that except it added information about the text copyright at the end of any paste. Now if I want to read a book where I make notes for highlighted text it needs to be with Kindle.

The ability to do that and search on terms in the text of a book is for me the advantage of ebooks.

How can I select text in Books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.