Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the 3 dots icon for?

What is the 3 dots icon supposed to do?

I click on it but nothing happens.

It's always there, I cannot get rid of it.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 8:15 AM

In Photos, my 3 dots at the top right of the Library view shows this:

In album view, I don't get the 3 dots.

In Edit view, I get this:

So, as JimmyCMPIT says, what you get depends on what you're doing. If you don't get options, then you don't have anything installed to use with it.

7 replies

Dec 23, 2022 6:30 AM in response to Abstractman23

the icon usually shows other options you might want to have available for the task you're working on.

for instance if you open your drive from the desktop the windows that appears has the ...

from that ... there are options for new tab, get info, sort, etc. they are related to common tasks to using that window. Another application may have entirely different options.

does your Mac do this in any application you click the ... or one specific app?

Dec 23, 2022 8:26 AM in response to Abstractman23

Two screenshots-- both are made with my having clicked on the 3 dots.

The first lets you restrict your view without including shared albums.

The second is in Edit mode, and, for instance, sometimes I want to do some things to a picture, like burn and dodge, that you can't do with Photos, so I use another app I have called GraphicConverter. It jumps to that app, I mess with it, save, and it jumps back to Photos/Edit where I can decide to keep the result. Lots of people do this with Photoshop or other editors. So some people have a lot more choices there than I do.

To find out what happens, I use a picture I don't really need, and try things out.

Dec 23, 2022 8:28 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I don't see the point of it being there if it serves no purpose and does not do anything. Maybe I am missing something?

The only time the 3 dots icon bring up anything is in the Day or Months view which gives me these two options:

Play Memory Video, Show Map

(Years view doesn't even display any 3 dots icon at all.)

But I always view my photos in All Photos mode, and the 3 dots icon is there but does nothing when I click on it.

What is the 3 dots icon for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.