Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where do I find my recovery key

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 9:22 AM

Hi Krisee,

It depends upon which security system you are using:

- With two-factor authentication and an Apple device, you have the option to generate a recovery key to help improve account security.

- When you generate a recovery key, you can't use account recovery.

- "Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently."

- See the document for how to generate a key. Apple mobile devices and Macs only.

Use a recovery key

- If you forget your Apple ID password, you can try to regain access using your trusted device protected by a passcode.

- Or you can use your recovery key, a trusted phone number, and an Apple device to reset your password.

_________

This link will take you directly to the paragraph of the document dealing with a lost recovery key issue: Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support :

What if I lose my Recovery Key?

You can sign in to your Apple ID account page and create a new Recovery Key using your Apple ID password and one of your trusted devices.

1. Go to appleid.apple.com.

2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.

3. In the Sign-In and Security section, click Recovery Key > Change Recovery Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account. If you don't see Recovery Key in the Sign-In and Security section, then you are not using two-step verification.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 9:22 AM in response to Krissee1204

Hi Krisee,

It depends upon which security system you are using:

- With two-factor authentication and an Apple device, you have the option to generate a recovery key to help improve account security.

- When you generate a recovery key, you can't use account recovery.

- "Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently."

- See the document for how to generate a key. Apple mobile devices and Macs only.

Use a recovery key

- If you forget your Apple ID password, you can try to regain access using your trusted device protected by a passcode.

- Or you can use your recovery key, a trusted phone number, and an Apple device to reset your password.

_________

This link will take you directly to the paragraph of the document dealing with a lost recovery key issue: Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support :

What if I lose my Recovery Key?

You can sign in to your Apple ID account page and create a new Recovery Key using your Apple ID password and one of your trusted devices.

1. Go to appleid.apple.com.

2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.

3. In the Sign-In and Security section, click Recovery Key > Change Recovery Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account. If you don't see Recovery Key in the Sign-In and Security section, then you are not using two-step verification.

Dec 23, 2022 9:41 AM in response to Krissee1204

Note that the only place to actually find an existing recovery key is wherever you wrote it down and saved it or in whatever password manager app you stored it in. Once generated, there is nowhere to see it on your device. So when using a recovery key, it is imperative that you save it somewhere you can get it if or when needed. Apple cannot tell you what it is as they don’t know, and it is not automatically stored in any human readable form on your device nor in your iCloud account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.