Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Import from iPhone into Photos App on External SSD after Ventura Update

I recently upgraded to Ventura on my Mac mini. After doing so, I noticed something strange with the Photos app. I am unable to import photos from any source, including iPhone or from the computer itself. It'll simply show it's loading for a long time, then the program will crash. I then try to relaunch it, and it has to restore the library.

It is important to note that I house my Photos library on an external SSD. When I tried importing photos on a newly-created Photos library located in the Pictures folder (the default), it worked just fine. So, somehow there is an issue related to the Ventura update and the fact that my Photos library is on an external SSD. Before the Ventura update, my Photos library worked perfectly from the external SSD. Does anyone know what might be causing this and perhaps know if a solution?

Mac mini

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 2:46 PM

What format is the external: I'll guess it's Ex-Fat or similar. A Photos library needs to sit on a disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or apfs. Setting the library on an inappropriately formatted disk causes various glitches, this being one, and more seriously, the risk of silent library corruption.

Solution: Reformat the disk, which you can do with Disk Utility. Remember that reformatting erases the disk so back up first.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 2:46 PM in response to tryingtofigurethisoutjim

What format is the external: I'll guess it's Ex-Fat or similar. A Photos library needs to sit on a disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or apfs. Setting the library on an inappropriately formatted disk causes various glitches, this being one, and more seriously, the risk of silent library corruption.

Solution: Reformat the disk, which you can do with Disk Utility. Remember that reformatting erases the disk so back up first.

Cannot Import from iPhone into Photos App on External SSD after Ventura Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.