Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Edit Mount Point Pt 2 ?

This is meant as a continuation of Edit Mount Point ? - Apple Community

Niel's instructions aren't working for me. When I unmount the affected volume via Disk Utility, it no longer appears in the /Volumes/ folder. It does appear there when it's mounted and if I have that folder open when I unmount the drive, it disappears.

I'm working with a removable drive and I'm on MacOS 12.5.1. The drive name is Media 2TB and the mount point is '/Volumes/Media 2TB 1'.

Any ideas on how to change the mount point back to '/Volumes/Media 2TB'?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 5:15 PM

Starriver wrote:

That thread is over a year old. You don't want to resurrect it.

When I unmount the affected volume via Disk Utility, it no longer appears in the /Volumes/ folder. It does appear there when it's mounted and if I have that folder open when I unmount the drive, it disappears.

Yes. I don't understand the supposed solution from the other thread.

I'm working with a removable drive and I'm on MacOS 12.5.1. The drive name is Media 2TB and the mount point is '/Volumes/Media 2TB 1'.

Did you try restarting?

The problem here is that mount points must be unique. So if you already had a volume "Media 2TB", then if you try to mount another one with the same name, it will use "Media 2TB 1" instead. So far, so good.

The problem is that macOS sometimes forgets what disks it has and hasn't mounted. So try restarting and post back if that doesn't work.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 5:15 PM in response to Starriver

Starriver wrote:

That thread is over a year old. You don't want to resurrect it.

When I unmount the affected volume via Disk Utility, it no longer appears in the /Volumes/ folder. It does appear there when it's mounted and if I have that folder open when I unmount the drive, it disappears.

Yes. I don't understand the supposed solution from the other thread.

Did you try restarting?

The problem here is that mount points must be unique. So if you already had a volume "Media 2TB", then if you try to mount another one with the same name, it will use "Media 2TB 1" instead. So far, so good.

The problem is that macOS sometimes forgets what disks it has and hasn't mounted. So try restarting and post back if that doesn't work.

Edit Mount Point Pt 2 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.