Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to install Ventura Update - the "enter password" widget will not accept my valid password

When I try to install Ventura Update - the "enter password" widget will not accept my valid password. When I try to change the password for this account in the Users & Groups it will also not accept my password. There is only one user - and I'm able to log in after restart with the password "no problem."

I tried to use the disk utility terminal "reset password" function and it failed.

I feel like I've been hacked; but I suspect this could be a bug and want to exhaust that possibility before following the next step "erase my mac"

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 8:59 AM

r0bert0clayt0n wrote:

I just opened terminal and did sudo su - root and used my valid password and that worked. so ... the idea that I've been hacked seems less likely and this seems like a bug. Does Apple Support monitor this forum?

These communities are moderated but not Monitored by Apple Support—

you can use this link for Apple: Official Apple Support

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:  http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 8:59 AM in response to r0bert0clayt0n

r0bert0clayt0n wrote:

I just opened terminal and did sudo su - root and used my valid password and that worked. so ... the idea that I've been hacked seems less likely and this seems like a bug. Does Apple Support monitor this forum?

These communities are moderated but not Monitored by Apple Support—

you can use this link for Apple: Official Apple Support

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:  http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Dec 26, 2022 9:51 AM in response to r0bert0clayt0n

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Adding additional Admin Account can be done there after.

Below link all provide additional insights about Admin Accounts and Owner Accounts 

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/

Dec 23, 2022 5:02 PM in response to r0bert0clayt0n

r0bert0clayt0n wrote:

When I try to install Ventura Update - the "enter password" widget will not accept my valid password. When I try to change the password for this account in the Users & Groups it will also not accept my password. There is only one user - and I'm able to log in after restart with the password "no problem."

I tried to use the disk utility terminal "reset password" function and it failed.

I feel like I've been hacked; but I suspect this could be a bug and want to exhaust that possibility before following the next step "erase my mac"

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Are you still listed as Admin...?

>System Setting >Users & Groups

When I try to install Ventura Update - the "enter password" widget will not accept my valid password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.