Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I mac will not turn on

I replaced my older I mac with a new laptop and after a couple of weeks of sitting I plugged in and went to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there something I can try? or do I need to bring it in for repair?

Thank you

Steve

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 5:17 PM

If your iMac is more than a few years old and it was left disconnected from power for a long time, it's quite likely its NVRAM battery has become depleted. An SMC Reset should result in successfully starting it.

Begin with If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support. Step 6 will lead to Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support.

On most iMacs, that battery is easily and inexpensively replaced. Or, you can just refrain from leaving it unplugged for long periods of time. It should be fine.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 5:17 PM in response to smcd001

If your iMac is more than a few years old and it was left disconnected from power for a long time, it's quite likely its NVRAM battery has become depleted. An SMC Reset should result in successfully starting it.

Begin with If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support. Step 6 will lead to Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support.

On most iMacs, that battery is easily and inexpensively replaced. Or, you can just refrain from leaving it unplugged for long periods of time. It should be fine.

Dec 28, 2022 11:59 AM in response to smcd001

Are you referring to the iMac or the new laptop? If it's the iMac try unplugging the power cord from the back of the iMac for about 15 seconds. Plug it back in and try to boot up. If that does it and it repeats itself later on (can't power on without unplugging the cord) you have a failing power supply. Iv'e been thru it myself with a 2015 iMac.

I mac will not turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.