Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro wont play audio on DELL S3222HN

My New Macbook M1 PRO won't play out of the speakers of my New DELL S3222HN Monitor. The options is shown in System Settings. However when I click DELL S3222HN, the volume bar and mute clickbox disable. Anyone have any Ideas? My other drivers seem to work fine.

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 10:13 PM

Anastasia_Franco Said:

"Macbook Pro wont play audio on DELL S3222HN: [...]Since I pay for Apple Care Plus, and Dell says it is an Apple problem, maybe I'll see what they can say.[...]"

-------

Apparently, this Monitor is not Supported on a Mac:

See Here: Your Dell S3222HN Supports these Operating Systems: - Dell Help

Dell Links for Reference:

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 10:13 PM in response to Anastasia_Franco

Anastasia_Franco Said:

"Macbook Pro wont play audio on DELL S3222HN: [...]Since I pay for Apple Care Plus, and Dell says it is an Apple problem, maybe I'll see what they can say.[...]"

-------

Apparently, this Monitor is not Supported on a Mac:

See Here: Your Dell S3222HN Supports these Operating Systems: - Dell Help

Dell Links for Reference:

Dec 23, 2022 10:10 PM in response to Anastasia_Franco

"Macbook Pro wont play audio on DELL S3222HN: My New Macbook M1 PRO won't play out of the speakers of my New DELL S3222HN Monitor. The options is shown in System Settings. However when I click DELL S3222HN, the volume bar and mute clickbox disable. Anyone have any Ideas? My other drivers seem to work fine."

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Troubleshoot the Mac Audio:

What to Try:

A. Unmute the App:

If an app has its own audio input and output settings, then perform things on the app itself.

B. Remove External Devices:

Verify what your output item is.

C. Disable Bluetooth:

If there are any microphones nearby, then they may be getting in the way via bluetooth.

D. Go Here: Control Access to your Microphone on Mac.

See if an app is permitted to use your microphone.

E. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.  (Applies to Anted-Based Macs Only)

F. Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

G. Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

Dec 24, 2022 9:58 PM in response to TheLittles

yeah, no. This is a new machine running on Ventura. The monitor is also new. Ain't removing Bluetooth that is not the issue, apps not applicable because macOS can't play sound on Dell. Safemode didn't fix the problem, a New administrator is not applicable for this fix or machine, and neither is "Reset the SMC and your NVRAM". Microphone issues are also not applicable because the input is set to an entirely different device.

Since I pay for Apple Care Plus, and Dell says it is an Apple problem, maybe I'll see what they can say. Thanks anyway.

Macbook Pro wont play audio on DELL S3222HN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.