Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Related Article: About Apple USB power adapters

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 20 Watt USB-C Power Adaptor

Why does Apple's 20 Watt USB-C Power Adaptor say its 5V output is 3 amps? Shouldn't 20W/5V=4 amps? I assume I am missing something about Apple's or USB's power protocols.

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 10:37 AM

fourwheelcycle wrote:

Why does Apple's 20 Watt USB-C Power Adaptor say its 5V output is 3 amps? Shouldn't 20W/5V=4 amps? I assume I am missing something about Apple's or USB's power protocols.

20W can provide a maximum of either 5V3A or 9V2.22A.

Apple USB-C power adapter volts, amps - Apple Community

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 10:37 AM in response to fourwheelcycle

fourwheelcycle wrote:

20W can provide a maximum of either 5V3A or 9V2.22A.

Apple USB-C power adapter volts, amps - Apple Community

Dec 24, 2022 10:38 AM in response to fourwheelcycle

The 20W Power Adapter has a maximum power output of 20W - but not necessarily at 5V.

Apple’s 20W USB-C Power Adapter supports USB PD (Power Delivery) - with which the Power Adapter can use a higher voltage with devices that support USB PD. This 20W Power Adapter is also capable of 2.22A @9V = 20W

With devices that only support the standard USB 5V bus voltage, the maximum power output is 15W.

Apple 20 Watt USB-C Power Adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.