Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 7th generation upgrade

I have an iPad Generation 7 with 128M storage. I only use it for banking, you tube, video streaming and web surfing and no gaming. I am retired and on a limited budget and was wondering do I really need to upgrade to a newer model? The tablet still performs well and the battery life is excellent. How many more IPadOS updates is it likely to receive?

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 12:13 PM

We are all, largely, Apple customers/users here, just like you.

No one here works for nor represents Apple.

No one here will know this, but Apple, and you will have to just wait for Apple to announce when a subset of their mobile devices will no longer be compatible with new iPadOS versions.

Currently, your 2019, 7th gen iPad is compatible with all of iPadOS 16 until next Fall of 2023.

When Apple does end full support of a subset of their mobile devices, third party app support, from the iOS/iPadOS App Store, will continue for another 2-3 years, or so, before ALL support for these devices will end.

So, currently, you have nothing to worry about.

Your device is only 3 years old, or so.

Apple supports their mobile devices for, at least, 5-6 years.

The 2014 iPad Air 2 and early 2015 iPad MIni 4 got nearly 8 years of full support from Apple ( those devices ended full OS support at iPadOS 15.7.2 ) and just got their first security update under iPadOS 15.7.

Those iPad models still have another 2-3 years of third party app support before NO apps are no longer compatible with these iPad models.

Best of Luck to You!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 12:13 PM in response to Community User

We are all, largely, Apple customers/users here, just like you.

No one here works for nor represents Apple.

No one here will know this, but Apple, and you will have to just wait for Apple to announce when a subset of their mobile devices will no longer be compatible with new iPadOS versions.

Currently, your 2019, 7th gen iPad is compatible with all of iPadOS 16 until next Fall of 2023.

When Apple does end full support of a subset of their mobile devices, third party app support, from the iOS/iPadOS App Store, will continue for another 2-3 years, or so, before ALL support for these devices will end.

So, currently, you have nothing to worry about.

Your device is only 3 years old, or so.

Apple supports their mobile devices for, at least, 5-6 years.

The 2014 iPad Air 2 and early 2015 iPad MIni 4 got nearly 8 years of full support from Apple ( those devices ended full OS support at iPadOS 15.7.2 ) and just got their first security update under iPadOS 15.7.

Those iPad models still have another 2-3 years of third party app support before NO apps are no longer compatible with these iPad models.

Best of Luck to You!

Dec 24, 2022 1:54 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks. Also I really don't think I would be gaining a lot by upgrading because of only using it for banking, streaming, and web surfing.

iPad 7th generation upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.