Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not importing metadata

I've always imported all my phone's photos and videos to a Photos Library on my External Hard drive, I just recently noticed that on a lot of my pictures, none of the metadata was imported with my photos, it got replaced with the date it got imported. This is very frustrating as I've deleted pictures/videos on my phone that I thought were in my Photos Library but all the correct metadata info is gone. When I tried to re-import some of pictures with the incorrect metadata (even though Photos says its already been imported,) it still will import the wrong metadata and replace it with today's date. Any advice to why it's not importing the metadata? Or how I can fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 5:03 AM

How have you been importing the photos from the "Phone" to your Photos Library on your Mac? Is it an iPhone or a different make? Did you import directly from the device?

The safest way to transfer photos and videos with all metadata from an iPhone to your Mac would be to sync your iPhone and your Mac with iCloud Photos. Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2022 5:03 AM in response to Stacyyyy

How have you been importing the photos from the "Phone" to your Photos Library on your Mac? Is it an iPhone or a different make? Did you import directly from the device?

The safest way to transfer photos and videos with all metadata from an iPhone to your Mac would be to sync your iPhone and your Mac with iCloud Photos. Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Photos not importing metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.