Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my 13 year old need a credit card attached to her AppleID in order to use her Apple Gift Card in the app store?

I have two 13 year olds on my iphone apple family sharing (and parental controls). They both got apple gift cards for Christmas, but they can't complete a purchase without a credit card attached to their AppleID. They're 13: they don't have credit or debit cards. Am I missing something here?

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 2:04 PM

If you are a member of family sharing, the only payment method that can be on file is the organizer's card.

See -> Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

See -> How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card

How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card – Apple Support (UK)

When redeeming a gift card, (1) the amount will be credited to your Apple ID balance and (2) then you need to set your Apple ID balance as your default payment.

(1) See -> Check your Apple ID balance

Check your Apple ID balance – Apple Support (UK)

(2) See -> Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

If you update your payment method or add funds to your Apple ID balance, It would take about 1 to 3 business days in order to process.

If you're still unable to update your payment method, Contact Apple Support.

When your children purchase something from the App Store or iTunes Store, with their own Apple ID, the charges will be deducted from their Apple ID balance, before the organizer's credit card is charged.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 2:04 PM in response to Shadowayn

If you are a member of family sharing, the only payment method that can be on file is the organizer's card.

See -> Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

See -> How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card

How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card – Apple Support (UK)

When redeeming a gift card, (1) the amount will be credited to your Apple ID balance and (2) then you need to set your Apple ID balance as your default payment.

(1) See -> Check your Apple ID balance

Check your Apple ID balance – Apple Support (UK)

(2) See -> Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

If you update your payment method or add funds to your Apple ID balance, It would take about 1 to 3 business days in order to process.

If you're still unable to update your payment method, Contact Apple Support.

When your children purchase something from the App Store or iTunes Store, with their own Apple ID, the charges will be deducted from their Apple ID balance, before the organizer's credit card is charged.

Why does my 13 year old need a credit card attached to her AppleID in order to use her Apple Gift Card in the app store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.