Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts are duplicated

Every one of my contacts in Mac Contacts are duplicated, but when I search for duplicates it doesn't find any. I am sure this somehow has to do with iCloud and the way contacts are being brought down into my Mac, but how do I fix it? They are NOT duplicated on iCloud or on my iPhone or IPad.

I am running Mac OS Ventura 13.01.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 11:51 AM

Hey, here's what could help you!

1. Make a copy of your contacts.
  2. Open Contacts.
  3. From the Card menu, select Card > Look for Duplicates.
  4. When asked, click Merge.
  5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until no duplicates are found.
  6. Make another copy of your iCloud Contacts.

Source : Official Apple Support

5 replies

Dec 25, 2022 12:08 PM in response to Lefftie

Thanks to James at 118 for this, but here's what he said could work.

Could you check for additional accounts in Contacts>Preferences...>Accounts? You can also select Contacts>Accounts... to determine which accounts are active with contacts.

Also open Contacts, then select View>Show Groups. The sidebar should then be able to display the accounts which are associated with various contacts.

Dec 25, 2022 2:10 PM in response to Lefftie

There are Contacts in iCloud and then there are Contacts " On My Mac "

The contacts " On My Mac " as the name denotes, are stored Locally ( On the Computer ) and Not on iCloud

refer to image later in this reply.

Suggest Disabling the sync process Only for Contacts

Then restart the computer and check Contacts for apparent Duplicates

The Re-Enable the Contacts to sync with iCloud.

This will basically Force a Re-Sync and hopefully eliminate this computer issue

Contacts are duplicated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.