Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enter recovery mode without buttons

Hello,

I'd like to know how can I enter recovery mode on my iPhone XR without down volume button and side button. The reason why is because my iPhone restarts itself on loop while charging, and I can't use it without the charger because it's frozen (and I have no way to turn on my iPhone without the side button for months).

I don't remember how I enter the recovery mode on iPhone 8 Plus back in the days, as the side, down volume and home button weren't working as well.

I don't know why these buttons are always against me, but my iPhone XR is working, so if you can help me, because I have no money to buy another one right now lol, especially knowing it's working, just stuck.

Thanks for any help.

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 7:35 AM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2022 3:08 PM in response to massaliah

Hello massaliah,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand the importance of having your iPhone working as expected, and we'd like to help. If your iPhone restarts while charging, we'd recommend getting in touch with Apple Support so they can run a diagnostic test to determine if it is a software or hardware issue. You can reach out to the using this link: Get Support

Regarding your question about starting your iPhone in recovery mode, for iPhone 8 or later you have to follow these steps:

If your screen is black or frozen

Follow the steps for your device.

On your iPhone 8 or later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)

1- Press and quickly release the volume up button.
2- Press and quickly release the volume down button.
3- Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
An animation of an iPhone with arrows pointing to the volume up button, then to the volume down button, and then to the side button.

4- If your phone doesn't turn on, follow these steps to check your hardware and charge your phone. You might need to charge for up to an hour.
5- If your phone still doesn't turn on, contact Apple Support.

If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Dec 28, 2022 8:49 AM in response to massaliah

Massaliah,

You can use Assistive Touch on your iPhone. With this feature, you can adjust volume, lock your screen, use multi-finger gestures, restart your device or replace pressing buttons with just a tap. However, it does not allow you to enter recovery mode.

At this time, we'd like to provide you with a few more steps that may be able to assist you.

1. Be sure that you are using Apple certified cables and accessories. This is to ensure that your device does not experience unexpected behavior while the battery is being charged. Click here for more details: Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

"2. Check your software. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS and that your apps are up to date. If the issue continues after updating your software and apps, check your hardware.

3. Check your hardware

On an iPhone 6 or later, check your battery health under Settings > Battery > Battery Health."

More info here: If your iOS or iPadOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

If the issue persists, we suggest that you reach out to Apple directly. You can follow this link to connect with them:

Get Support

All the best.

How to enter recovery mode without buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.