Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t get my 1st gen Apple Pencil to pair with my iPad 10th gen

1st gen Apple Pencil to 10th gen iPad can’t connect

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 12:16 PM

DO NOT use the charging/pairing adapter that came in the box with your 1st gen Apple Pencil.

That adapter maybe the older Apple Lightning to Lightning adapter that is still used with older iPad models that still use Apple's Lightning port.

You need to have purchased and be using the older, original 1st gen Apple Pencil with an additional purchase of Apple's new $9 U.S.D. USB-C to Lightning adapter.

Tap the online Apple Store link below.

USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter - Apple

You may have purchased an older “new” stock box 1st gen Apple Pencil that still contains the original Lightning to Lightning adapter, inside of the box.

This is the wrong adapter to be using with the new base model 10th gen iPad.

This is why Apple is selling this new, proper $9 U.S.D. USB-C to Lightning adapter.

New stock boxes of 1st gen Apple Pencils are, supposedly, being reported as shipping with this newer USB-C to Lightnng Apple Pencil charging/pairing adapter, presently, but old “new” stock boxes of 1st gen Apple Pencils are still packaged with the older Lightning to Lightning Apple Pencil charging/pairing adapter.

That older adapter will NOT work with the new base model 10th gen iPad with a USB-C port.

If you purchased the actual $9 USB-C to Lightning adapter, to pair and charge your 1st gen Pencil to the iPad, your charge cable needs to be connected by plugging in your iPad's USB-C to USB-C charging cable into the iPad and plug the USB-C end of the Adapter into the loose/free USB-C end of the cable and then plug the Apple Pencil into the Lightning end of the adapter.

To charge the 1st gen Pencil away from the iPad, plug your charging cable into the Apple power/charging block, take the other loose/free end of the USB-C cable, plug that USB-C end of the adapter into the loose end of your USB-C charged cable and then plug your 1st gen Pencil into the Lightning end of this adapter.

The sooner you purchase this $9 USB-C to Lightning adapter, the sooner you can start charging, pairing, and using your 1st gen Apple Pencil with your new 10th gen Apple Pencil.

Best of Luck to You!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 12:16 PM in response to Jsnake97

DO NOT use the charging/pairing adapter that came in the box with your 1st gen Apple Pencil.

That adapter maybe the older Apple Lightning to Lightning adapter that is still used with older iPad models that still use Apple's Lightning port.

You need to have purchased and be using the older, original 1st gen Apple Pencil with an additional purchase of Apple's new $9 U.S.D. USB-C to Lightning adapter.

Tap the online Apple Store link below.

You may have purchased an older “new” stock box 1st gen Apple Pencil that still contains the original Lightning to Lightning adapter, inside of the box.

This is the wrong adapter to be using with the new base model 10th gen iPad.

This is why Apple is selling this new, proper $9 U.S.D. USB-C to Lightning adapter.

New stock boxes of 1st gen Apple Pencils are, supposedly, being reported as shipping with this newer USB-C to Lightnng Apple Pencil charging/pairing adapter, presently, but old “new” stock boxes of 1st gen Apple Pencils are still packaged with the older Lightning to Lightning Apple Pencil charging/pairing adapter.

That older adapter will NOT work with the new base model 10th gen iPad with a USB-C port.

If you purchased the actual $9 USB-C to Lightning adapter, to pair and charge your 1st gen Pencil to the iPad, your charge cable needs to be connected by plugging in your iPad's USB-C to USB-C charging cable into the iPad and plug the USB-C end of the Adapter into the loose/free USB-C end of the cable and then plug the Apple Pencil into the Lightning end of the adapter.

To charge the 1st gen Pencil away from the iPad, plug your charging cable into the Apple power/charging block, take the other loose/free end of the USB-C cable, plug that USB-C end of the adapter into the loose end of your USB-C charged cable and then plug your 1st gen Pencil into the Lightning end of this adapter.

The sooner you purchase this $9 USB-C to Lightning adapter, the sooner you can start charging, pairing, and using your 1st gen Apple Pencil with your new 10th gen Apple Pencil.

Best of Luck to You!

Dec 27, 2022 9:36 AM in response to madelinestrick

Uh, did you purchase the new, must have Apple Pencil adapter that I linked to in my above reply?

You need to purchase this new $9 adapter from Apple.

Here is the Apple Store link to this needed/must have adapter, from Apple.

Read my entire post, above yours, to see why, exactly why you can't get your 1st gen Apple Pencil working with the new base model 10th gen iPad.

Dec 27, 2022 9:21 AM in response to Jsnake97

First off, I know exactly how frustrated you are with this situation because I have been dealing with it since November when the iPad released.

Second, as of right now, there is no fix to this problem per Apple... I have the pink 10 generation iPad and a brand new 1st generation Apple Pencil. My pencil will not connect to my 10th generation iPad, but will connect to other iPads that are NOT 10th generation. I have been to the Apple store three times in the last month - we have replaced my iPad twice, tried different apple pencils. The 1st generation Apple Pencil will ABSOLUTELY NOT connect to the iPad 10th generation. Sadly, Apple has no fix on this... I am completely devastated because we spend a lot of money on Apple products just for them to not work.

Dec 27, 2022 1:19 PM in response to madelinestrick

madelinestrick wrote:

How new is this USB-C to Apple Pencil adapter? Because I went to the Apple Store and picked one up about two weeks ago.

Are you sure you purchased the correct Pencil adapter?

The new Apple USB-C to Apple Pencil adapter was released at the same time the new 2022 10th gen iPad was released.

This adapter costs $9 U.S.D. from Apple.

Apple and other third party makers still sell the much older Apple Lightning to Lightning Apple Pencil adapter for iPad models that still use Apple’s Lightning connection port.

THAT older adapter will NOT work with the 1st gen Apple Pencil and the new, base model 10th gen iPad.

Perhaps you purchased the wrong adapter?

Dec 27, 2022 1:51 PM in response to madelinestrick

If you purchased the correct Apple USB-C to Apple Pencil Lightning Adapter and your 1st gen Apple Pencil is still not working.

Maybe your Apple Pencil is not charging or charged up enough.

Try plugging in your USB-C charge cable into your USB-C power adapter block and plug the USB-C to Apple Pencil adapter into the other connector end of the cable and then plug the Apple Pencil Lightning end into the open adapter end and let your Pencil just charge off the power adapter block for 1 hour, or so.

Next, make sure Bluetooth is turned/toggled ON.

Then, try plugging the cable back into the iPad and try to pair your 1st gen Apple Pencil again.

If still no joy,

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset/forced restart procedure for the new 2018-2022 iPad Pros, 2020/21 iPad Air 4 and 5, the 2021 iPad Mini 6 and the new 2022, 10th gen base models,

1. Press and release the volume button closest to the top Power button

2. Then immediately press and release the volume button farthest from the top Power button.

3. Then, press and hold the top single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018-2022 iPad will boot up completely to the iPad’s Lock screen.

Make sure Bluetooth is toggled ON your iPad, then plug the cable, adapter and Pencio into your iPad, again, to try and pair the Pencil, once again.

Best of Luck to You!

I can’t get my 1st gen Apple Pencil to pair with my iPad 10th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.