Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Paired but Won't "Connect" with Mac via Bluetooth

iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 16.2) and M2 MacBook Air (macOS Ventura 13.1) are paired but will not "Connect" despite:

1. Turning Bluetooth on/off on both devices;
  2. Forgetting and re-pairing on both devices;
  3. Rebooting/restarting each device; and
  4. Running terminal command sudo pkill bluetoothd (on Mac).

Same devices using same operating system connected over Bluetooth (two hours ago) before the first time I used the iPhone as a webcam via Continuity Camera, which seemed to work flawlessly.

Now they pair just fine but will not connect.

I think that the problem is with the MacBook Air (as opposed to iPhone) since iPhone connects to my Apple Watch (Series 7 watchOS 9.2) but Mac does not even see it so can't pair (much less connect). Likewise, watch used to connect and supported automatic login on Mac before playing with Continuity Camera.

What else can I try?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 12:34 PM

Same issue here. iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 16.2) and M1 MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura 13.1).

Spent 2-3 hours on trying to solve this, nothing has worked and your post was the only result in Google for the "Pairing Unsuccessful <name of mac> is not supported." search phrase. I too am trying to use Continuity Camera, no luck...

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2022 12:34 PM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Same issue here. iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 16.2) and M1 MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura 13.1).

Spent 2-3 hours on trying to solve this, nothing has worked and your post was the only result in Google for the "Pairing Unsuccessful <name of mac> is not supported." search phrase. I too am trying to use Continuity Camera, no luck...

Dec 26, 2022 12:15 PM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Apparently, pairing is not symmetric.

What I mean by this is that on the Mac I can Forget the iPhone and re-pair it. Yes, on the iPhone, after Forgetting the Mac, the Mac soon appears in the list of "Other Devices) in the iPhone's Bluetooth settings. However, why I try to pair the two devices from the iPhone, I get this error message: <bold>Pairing Unsuccessful</bold><newline> "<name of Mac>" is not supported.

Dec 27, 2022 12:52 PM in response to phra

To use Continuity Camera, launch an app that uses video, e.g., either FaceTime or Zoom, and then look at the app’s preferences for video. You will see your iPhone there as long as: (1) both the Mac are on the same WiFi network, both have Bluetooth turned on, and (3) you are longed into the same Apple ID on both.

Once selected as a video input, you will find Continuity Camera settings in your Mac’s Control Center.

For more details, see:

Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

iPhone Paired but Won't "Connect" with Mac via Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.