Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeform is not in my MacOS Monterey 12.6.2 update (while I have it on my iPhone with iOS16.2).

Dear ASC,

I currently updated my MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey 12.6.2 but I still don't have Freeform (while I have it on my iPhone with iOS16.2). I tried all recommended paths but Freeform is just not on my Mac -- how can I get it?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 4:20 AM

Apple should consider allowing Freeform on Mac OS Monterey 12.6.2

instead they left us in the dust. My 2016 MacBook Pro does not support Mac OS Ventura and I am extremely disappointed. Apple, If you want more money, we will pay you, but please let us install Freeform Mac OS Monterey!

15 replies

Mar 26, 2023 8:12 AM in response to dialabrain

Im still waiting for you to answer my question on what hardware requirements you are referring to (you said "It has nothing to do with "allowing". A 2016 MacBook Pro does not have the hardware to support Ventura or Freeform."). Rather, you are just making general statements again that provide no value.

I am bringing awareness to an important issue that Apple's upper management should be aware of, and hopefully address. Marketing decisions are trumping technical engineering decisions and this did not happen in the Steve Jobs days...

Jan 5, 2023 6:47 AM in response to dialabrain

MacBook Pro with 2.6ghz quad core intel i7 processor with 16gb ram is capable of running powerful software (eg. AutoCad fusion 360) should be capable of running Freeform. What are the hardware requirements to run Freeform?

i understand Ventura is a 64 bit OS and Monterey is too. I am just trying to understand what is lacking in my machine and if I really need to upgrade (since the Mac runs flawlessly).

Mar 26, 2023 7:47 AM in response to daylightfullday6

Please cite your review from CleanMyMac. Not all intel processors are the same. I agree that the M1 & M2 processors are more optimal, but a quad core Intel i7 should be able to run the Ventura OS flawlessly. I have provided suggestions to apple and a technical approach should be used, rather than a marketing approach.

Here are the solutions for apple:

1) Allow freeform to be installed on Mac Monterey since the issue is not hardware related

2) Evaluate os ventura eligibility based on hardware requirements, rather than age. It seems the compatibility chart based on age (less than 5 years) rather than hardware requirements. macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Feb 12, 2023 11:35 PM in response to kkkkkkkfromhatfield

I have a 2018 Mac Mini which has an i7 (intel) processor. It came with Monterey on it. I checked online (you tube) and watched some reviews discussing the differences in Monterey and Ventura. Review from CleanMyMac mentioned that the Ventura OS was optimally designed to run on Macs (latest) with the M1 or M2 chips and those with Intel processors may have some lag or other issues arise from running Ventura. There were not a lot of major differences in the two different OS. So…I’d suggest you keep your Mac running happily with the OS it already has. I find with ANY brand of electronics, that there’s always some issues after an upgrade. Hopefully, Apple with wake up to offering the newest applications like FREEFORM so that users of the previous OS can also enjoy use of them. If you don’t send them suggestions or feedback (and just complain instead) then they’ll never know what consumers want. Send them the suggestion! Cuz I want it (freeform) too! :)

Mar 26, 2023 9:21 AM in response to kkkkkkkfromhatfield

kkkkkkkfromhatfield wrote:

Im still waiting for you to answer my question on what hardware requirements you are referring to (you said "It has nothing to do with "allowing". A 2016 MacBook Pro does not have the hardware to support Ventura or Freeform.").

Since you were waiting, a 2016 MacBook Pro doesn't have the GPU to support Metal 3. A 2017 MacBook Pro does.

I am bringing awareness to an important issue that Apple's upper management should be aware of, and hopefully address.

Since Apple is not here you might have better luck sending them feedback.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Freeform is not in my MacOS Monterey 12.6.2 update (while I have it on my iPhone with iOS16.2).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.