Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple apple devices icloud storage

I have 3 apple devices. I turned off save to icloud for Safari. On the one device where I saved Safari to icloud, I merged and deleted and basically cleaned up 5 years worth of things like bookmarks and logins which took days and days. I did this on my newest apple device, thinking that when I turned on icloud for Safari in the other two devices, they would sync to the latest device that I had updated and saved. Instead what happened was that on the second device, I clicked to save Safari to icloud and icloud deleted every single of the bookmarks and logins in the account I had curated, and I lost all that data. Everything. Now I only save to icloud on the device I use most often, and I'm terrified if I turn on the other devices, the same thing will happen again. How does a person know which device's data will over-ride the others?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 9:59 AM

Hello lynnettedanna,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help you get the most from Safari and iCloud on all of your devices.

The data in iCloud should sync to your devices if iCloud is enabled. See here for a more detailed explanation:

"Keep your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, and tabs up to date with iCloud

With iCloud, your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, and open browser tabs stay up to date on all your devices.

Access the same bookmarks, Reading List, and tabs on all your devices

When you set up iCloud for Safari, your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, Tab Groups, and open browser tabs are stored in the cloud instead of locally on your device. You can access that information on any device that’s set up for iCloud and Safari, including your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. You can access your bookmarks on a Windows computer.

Because your information is in the cloud, changes you make on one device—like bookmarking a new website, removing an item from your Reading List, or opening a new tab—automatically appear on all your devices. You see the most up-to-date version of your bookmarks, Reading List, Tab Groups, and open browser tabs, no matter where you access them."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Keep your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, and tabs up to date with iCloud - Apple Support

We hope this helps to better understand how iCloud can help sync your data.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 9:59 AM in response to lynnettedanna

Hello lynnettedanna,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help you get the most from Safari and iCloud on all of your devices.

The data in iCloud should sync to your devices if iCloud is enabled. See here for a more detailed explanation:

"Keep your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, and tabs up to date with iCloud

With iCloud, your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, and open browser tabs stay up to date on all your devices.

Access the same bookmarks, Reading List, and tabs on all your devices

When you set up iCloud for Safari, your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, Tab Groups, and open browser tabs are stored in the cloud instead of locally on your device. You can access that information on any device that’s set up for iCloud and Safari, including your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. You can access your bookmarks on a Windows computer.

Because your information is in the cloud, changes you make on one device—like bookmarking a new website, removing an item from your Reading List, or opening a new tab—automatically appear on all your devices. You see the most up-to-date version of your bookmarks, Reading List, Tab Groups, and open browser tabs, no matter where you access them."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Keep your Safari bookmarks, Reading List, and tabs up to date with iCloud - Apple Support

We hope this helps to better understand how iCloud can help sync your data.

Cheers!

multiple apple devices icloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.